GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Choosing window brand — Fiberglass frame, double and triple pane

Yamayagi1 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I am preparing to build a “pretty good house” in Gloucester, Massachusetts, climate Zone 5/coastal. I have gotten quotations on Marvin Integrity casements and awning windows, but did talk to the reps at the Building Energy 16 conference in Boston from Comfortline/Fiberframe and Accurate Dorwin. I do want to install good performing fiberglass windows, but also want to have a reasonable budget for the windows for the project. Does anyone have experience with these manufacturers to compare the performance and pricing of the three? Integrity seems to have the best distribution and support, but the others seem to have better performing products. Any feedback on experiences with these three companies? Thanks for your help!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

James,
    You might also consider Intus.

2. Ikillyou | | #2

Compared to a pretty good house windows are a necessary hole in the R-Value so don't get too concerned. Go for service and support.

3. charlie_sullivan | | #3

I got better pricing from Comfortline/Fiberframe than Accurate Dorwin, but it's worth getting quotes from both on your project--which is cheaper likely depends on what options you choose, the size of the order, and perhaps the US/Canadian exchange rate. I've heard good things about both companies.

Do heed John's advice to consider service and support--in particular if there's a local dealer who offers good support that can be worth a lot if you have glitches, whether those originate from installation errors, order mixups, or manufacturing defects.

4. Chaubenee | | #4

That is why I used Marvin triple pane Integrety fiberglass Windows from a local dealer. I had an issue with a patio door where the check rail was too tight against the movable slider. The door was very difficult to slide no matter what we did. The factory rep came out at the behest of the local dealer. They did some work on the check rail and now the door slides better. That is why my u20 Windows from Marbin make as much sense as u17 units from some more uscale but smaller dealer network operation. We chose black fiberglass with pine interior. Love them so far.

5. user-3133848 | | #5

I was a Marvin dealer for thirty years so -- yes, I admit a positive bias in favor of Marvin products in general. What keeps coming back to me is the forward-thinking, consumer-based attitude of the company. Great values and very solid backing for the service when needed which isn't often. For my family's "pretty good" home, I'm about to order Integrity Casements and awnings for the W,N & E elevations and aluminum clad Marvin Casements and a large door system for the south elevation. The only shortcoming in the Integrity line is the absence of a high SHGC triple glaze option. Otherwise, great durable value from a great midwest family owned business!

6. brp_nh | | #6

It's been at least 3 years since we did our window shopping, so I'm not up to date on the Marvin specs. But in choosing all fiberglass or pvc windows for our house in NH, we ended up going with Alpen over Marvin because of the better U values and high SHGC option.

http://thinkalpen.com
    http://www.pinnaclewindowsolutions.net (the dealer we used in ME)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |