GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Looking for a product (like stucco) to cover 4″ EPS foam on exterior wall

kenorakq | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I’m nearing the end of the planning phase and have to choose a product to cover the exterior of my above grade conditioned crawlspace walls. The height of the crawlspace walls vary as the house sits on uneven granite. The rat slab is poured over the granite and some infill gravel and as a consequence is sloped and uneven.
The walls are a mix of wood framed (2×6) and concrete (8″) on a walkout design. (wood is all above grade).
The western face has about 12″ of wood framed wall atop a 36″ concrete wall, north face is a concrete wall to the sill plate, east face is stepped: the first 15 ft (southbound) is concrete to the sill plate then stepped down as the crawlspace deepens to 18″ of concrete under 36″ wood frame. The south face is also 18″ of concrete under 36″ wood frame.
I will have 4″ EPS foam attached to the wood framed walls above the sill plate (with 3/4″ vertical furring strips under Hardiboard/LPS siding or similar) and the same (foam) under separated by a flashing at the sill plate.
However under the sill I plan a transition to something that can contact the ground and is moisture tolerant. While I’m not a fan of the stucco look money is an issue…so I need a product or system that is resilient enough to mechanically protect the foam to or under the ground level and looks acceptable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated and drawing would be a bonus..thanks.

Tim in Kenora, Ontario, Canada (zone 7)

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Tim,
    Here is a link to an article that discusses all of the options for protecting the above-grade portion of exterior rigid foam used to insulate a foundation wall: How to Insulate a Basement Wall.

Scroll down until you get the the section with this heading: "If I insulate on the outside, how should I protect the above-grade foam?"

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |