GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Options for replacing 2-cycle gas weedwhacker / string trimmer?

rhallen645 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I recently replaced my gas-powered push lawnmower with a manual reel mower (Fiskars Staysharp Max Reel Mower, 18-Inch) for maintaining the grass on our small (7,500 sq ft) lot.

Now I’m looking for alternatives to my old 2-cycle gas-powered weedwacker/string trimmer. My main criteria are: more environmentally-friendly in use, durable & easy to maintain/use. I’m leaning toward a battery-powered one, in which case I want one that’s part of a “family” with interchangeable batteries &/or other extensions (mainly a light-duty leaf blower, & hedge trimmer; possibly also a chain saw). Having had good experiences with Stihl gas-powered chain saws in the past, their FSA 65 (http://www.stihlusa.com/products/battery/trimmers-and-brushcutters/fsa65/) looked promising.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences with non-gasoline-powered weedwackers/string trimmers or other lawn & garden tools?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #1

Keep in mind that battery powered trimmers are not heavy duty machines. We bought a Black & Decker trimmer and a chain saw. The batteries are interchangeable. Both get a fair amount of use. The chain saw is great for trimming branches a bit larger than loppers can handle. The trimmer is fine for trimming spots where the mower doesn't reach. It isn't going to chop heavy weeds.

We're happy with both and they were pretty cheap as far as I can recall.

2. user-2310254 | | #2

I bought an Ego 56 volt mower and blower about a year ago and have no complaint. I recently purchased an Ego string trimmer as well. All the devices use the same 56 volt battery. My lot is quite small, so I can generally do everything I need with one charge. (Recharging the battery is supposed to take 20 minutes, but I've never timed it.) If you want to avoid gas-power equipment, it is a good option.

3. rhallen645 | | #3

Steve & Steven - thank you for your thoughts; will look at both options.

We have such a small lot & it's completely flat (mowed in 15 minutes with a reel mower) that I'm not worried about battery life or getting something particularly heavy-duty.

How comfortable are they to use? I'm 6' tall & accustomed to a straight-shaft full-length string trimmer; I don't want to have to bend over while using it. Some of the low-end corded string trimmers I've seen in the past are quite short.

Also, akin to my switch to a manual reel mower, are there any fully-manual versions of a weedwacker? I haven't seen one & frankly can't imagine how you'd design one.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Robert,
    A "fully manual version of a weedwhacker" is called a scythe. I own one and use it occasionally. It takes a little practice, but it doesn't require electricity or gasoline.

5. user-2310254 | | #5

@Robert. I think you will be better offer with a powerful motor and battery. Trimming seems to require both. The Ego brand is sold by HD. There are two models of trimmer (easily returned).

My yard is tiny as well. I can cut it in less than 10 minutes.

6. rhallen645 | | #6

Martin - I actually have a scythe, however I don't think my neighbors in our "semi-urban" neighborhood would appreciate me using it! I think a battery-powered unit is a safer bet.

7. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #7

Robert,
    Trust me -- in the suburbs, weed-whackers are much more controversial than scythes. Nothing is quieter than a scythe.

8. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #8

A man walking though a suburb with a scythe might prove a bit disquieting for the senior residents.

9. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #9

Malcolm,
    Only if he was wearing a black hoodie.

10. charlie_sullivan | | #10

I am another occasional scythe user. I think it is best for open areas, rather than for trimming up against a fence post or the like. Its main advantage over a reel mower is the ability to handle tall grass and weeds.

I also own, and never use, a fiskers manual trimmer which is a pole with scissors blades at the bottom and a squeeze handle at the top. It is capable of precision trimming, which could include up against a fence post. But it is very slow. That doesn't match my style of yard carel at all.

A friend just got a low end Ryobi cordless trimmer and is pleased with it, but part of what she likes is that it is sized well for her and she's a foot shorter than you.

I think the advice to buy from a store like Home depot with a generous return policy is good, given that fit is a concern.

11. Andrew_C | | #11

When I was a kid, I mowed lawns. Most summers, it was three regular suburban yards, plus about seven mobile home yards. Plus our lawn. The trimmer of choice? Manual 5" grass shears, like the Fiskars Power-Level grass shears available at your local HomeDepot, or similar.

Of course, the new ones have comfortable ergonomic grips and higher mechanical advantage, so it won't help develop your hands and forearms for hockey (golf, tennis, mtn biking, cow milking, etc) as well as the really old grass shears, but they are definitely durable, environmentally friendly, and easy to use/maintain.

12. charlie_sullivan | | #12

Andrew, your comment reminds me of the old long handle shears my father had, which had wheels at the bottom, which I suspect makes it easier to snip rapidly while maintaining consistent height. There are a few modern version of that available.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=62656&cat=2,2160,40708
    https://smile.amazon.com/Gardena-Comfort-27-Inch-Handle-Swiveling/dp/B002VED3PW

13. Andrew_C | | #13

Charlie, the long-handled versions that you reference would certainly be easier on the back, and I like the rollers for adding consistency. Good idea. The handheld shears are more versatile, and simpler>more durable (probably). I'd probably get both if I wanted to keep a small yard neat, for less money than motorized (gas or electric).

14. GBA Editor
    Patrick Mccombe | | #14

I've been using a DeWalt cordless sting trimmer for months now and it works well. It takes DeWalt's 20-volt (really 18) slide-on battery packs. It has a straight shaft so it doesn't vibrate too much and it's very quiet compared to its gas counterparts. They offer a cordless blower that also accepts the packs. Milwaukee Power tools offers similar products. If you already have cordless tools from either brand, it would seem like a logical solution for you. Here's a link to DeWalt's version:
    http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/outdoor-power-equipment/20v-max-lithium-ion-xr-brushless-13-string-trimmer-50ah/dcst920p1

15. rhallen645 | | #15

Update:

I purchased the Ryobi P2080 (https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/products/details/18v-one-plus-lithium-plus-cordless-string-trimmer-edger) from the local home center & have been using it for several months on our small (7,500 sq ft) lot. Overall, I am happy so far.

Pros:
    - Combined trimmer/edger is handy
    - Battery life (plenty for my use)
    - Compatible with future hand power tools

Cons:
    - Single string line -> slower to cut
    - The transition between trimmer & edger (flip the guard 90 degrees with your foot) is a bit flimsy...I worry that will break
    - Not compatible with 40V systems (i.e. battery-powered lawnmowers)
    - Can't add other attachments to the unit (i.e. leaf blower)

If I had a larger lot, I would've gone with one of their 40V system:
    40210: https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/products/details/40v-string-trimmer-edger
    40220: https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/products/details/40v-x-expand-it-string-trimmer

A word of caution: a lot of low-cost online advertisements don't include a battery & that's not obvious at first. While that's great if you don't need a battery, it can be misleading.

With the breadth of powerful, longer-lasting battery-powered models & the convenience of not having to deal with gasoline or oil, I don't see why the average homeowner or small-commercial user would buy a new gas-powered outdoor power tool these days.

Rob

16. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #16

Thanks Robert, It's always great to read a follow-up. We discuss a lot of topics, suggestions get made and often never hear what the consequences are.

17. wisjim | | #17

We bought a Greenworks string trimmer and also their 16" chain saw almost 3 years ago and like them both. They work well for our needs, especially the trimmer as it doesn't require starting and the string is easy to reload. My wife will use it too, until the 2 batteries require recharging, and that is long enough doing that kind of job. The chain saw is especially good when using it on a ladder or in a tree as it is carried turned off, and doesn't require pulling on a cord to start it.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |