GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Non-toxic laminate brands?

englishgirl12 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

After MUCH consideration and debate, we have decided to go with laminate flooring for our home. I know this isn’t the “greenest” choice, but it is the right choice for us (budget, wear, etc.). We would like 12 mm laminate that mimics the look of an oil finished gray-brown oak hardwood. We would like to find something a little more matte and not too slippery. But most importantly we want a brand we can trust that is committed to low VOC and formaldehyde free. We would also like something made in the US, Canada, or Europe (NOT China). Anyone have any recommendations? If wasn’t easy to come to this decision, so your advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kara,
    Flooring is labeled with the country of origin. If it's made in the U.S., Canada, or Europe (rather than China), I wouldn't worry about it. Check the flooring box before you buy.

2. user-2310254 | | #2

Have you considered cork flooring? I installed some in my basement, and it is fairly consistent in appearance to my wax oil hardwood flooring. This product is sold at HD and is low VOC and CARB 2 compliant.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |