GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Sanity check on energy efficient window pricing

ranson | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I’m pricing out energy efficient windows, and am wondering if the quotes that I’m receiving are typical. I’m looking at white, triple glazed, low-e, argon or krypton filled fiberglass new-construction casements with no grids. I’ve received quotes from two Canadian manufacturers that are both $47/ sq. ft, uninstalled. Does that seem in-line with other people’s experience buying windows?

I’m aware that vinyl windows would be cheaper, and that double pane windows probably have better ROI. Having a firmer idea of pricing will help with that math for my house.

–John

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Adam Emter - Zone 7a | | #1

John,

Check out http://prossimo.us/. I ordered 8 windows and 2 entry doors from Ben last year. They are made in Poland. 3-pane, 3-gasket tilt/turn vinyl. I won't share exact numbers, but I paid significantly less than those s.f. prices you quoted, which included shipping from Europe. I am very happy with the windows and doors and Ben has taken care of me from day 1.

2. dowens825 | | #2

John,

Another option to consider is WASCO Windows - http://www.wascowindows.com/european-windows/ . They have a division that makes tilt & turn windows and, depending on your location, may have very attractive shipping costs compared to imports. As I understand it, they use German software, materials and machines but construct the units in Milwaukee. I'm not affiliated in any way, but bought a houseful and am very pleased. If you can visit them, they give a nice tour.

Tilt & turn are NOT casements though. WASCO does make standard double hung and casements in their main division but they're just not in the same energy efficiency league as the European style windows.

3. ranson | | #3

Interestingly, I now have quotes at $60/sq. ft. for a US made fiberglass window, and $30/sq. ft. for another Canadian made fiberglass window. I did ask for a quote from Prossimo. We'll see where they come in, but the $30/ sq. ft. is very attractive, even if I have to pay an extra $500 for shipping.

Can anyone who has had windows imported from Canada to the US tell me if they were charged an import duty? I'm not sure if NAFTA applies here.

--John

4. user-5946022 | | #4

How are people handling window treatment for these types on inward opening and inward tilting windows? I looked at the photos on both sites and could not really tell. Seems like old fashioned curtains hung high above the window and pulled back? Any other options?

In Europe they use these integral storm shutters that are housed in the wall, and roll down the exterior side of the window via bands on the inside. But those are expensive and not usually available in the US...

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |