GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Mitsubishi remote thermostat and warranty

wt13 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Hello All,

I have been lurking for awhile, as I usually find my answers through searches, but having a new Mitsubishi Hyper Heat system installed, I thought of a question for which I can’t find an answer.

I had it installed by a Diamond contractor (primarily for the warranty coverage aspects), and the inside units have the usual handheld remotes.

I have read of the advantages of the remote thermostats (MHK1), and will keep it in mind if I experience the “radical” fluctuations caused by relying on the internal temp sensors. It has occurred to me, though, that if I install the system myself (it seems pretty easy – I work with electronic circuits all the time as a hobby – BUT, will installing it myself void the warranty on the system that I took great pains/cost to install? I’m not so much concerned about any warranty on the thermostat.

My second question revolves around the thermostat itself. Mitsubishi calls the communication system “Redlink.” I notice that there are other Redlink ‘branded’ systems, most notably Honeywell. Additionally, the thermostat even looks the same (but much cheaper).

Is the Honeywell Redlink system compatible / the same as the Mitsubishi system?

Thanks for any advice / experience!

Wayne
New Hampshire

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-626934 | | #1

Honeywell makes the MHK1 thermostat for Mitsubishi...I think just for the North America market. I don't think any other Honeywell Redline products are compatible with Mitsubishi units, so if you're going to install something, use the MHK1.

2. wt13 | | #2

MHK1 it is, thanks. But if I install it myself, will that somehow void the warranty on the main unit in any way? If it voids the warranty, is that ONLY on the indoor unit and not the outside unit, or does it void the warranty on both. Or, of course, does it not void the warranty in any way?

3. Stu Turner | | #3

I installed my own MHK1, it was not too bad, maybe 30 minutes. It operates over Honeywell's RedLink wireless communications system. Please note if you want to operate your thermostat over the web, you will also need to buy a RedLink Gateway from Honeywell (which is compatible with the MHK1). I'm not sure about the warranty issue, but the installation is not permanent and doesn't involve modifying your indoor minisplit unit at all. You could always email Mitsubishi and ask. Worst case, if you did have a warranty claim, just take the MHK1 off your system and then plug it back in after everything is fixed.

4. wt13 | | #4

I was thinking of doing that (just disconnecting it if it needed service), and maybe I'm overthinking it, but a lot of circuits these days store a LOT of info in non-volatile memory. I know these units have some since it resets to previous settings after any power outage.

So my overthinking is telling me that MAYBE the system stores information such as what devices were attached and/or where it was getting its input from - for example that triggering was coming from an external unit.

Thanks all for the input. I will email Mits and post their response.

5. wt13 | | #5

OK, so I did a chat with Mitsubishi's support, and got the usual corporate ambiguity. I had to poke at it a few times, but still ended up with "Not that we are aware of." For further insight, here is the chat transcript (names removed)t:

System

REP
    11:01 AM
    Hello, my name is xxx and I'll be assisting you.

REP
    11:01 AM
    Thank you for contacting Mitsubishi Electric, how may I assist you?

ME
    11:04 AM
    I recently had a hyper heat multi zone system installed by a diamond contractor. I have read that using the external thermostat (MHK1?) gives more 'stable' operation.

Do I HAVE to have it installed by a contractor to maintain the warranty, or can I install it myself?

i do electronic modifications, so self-install is easy enough, since the modules are plug and play.

REP
    11:07 AM
    We suggest that you have a licensed HVAC contractor install it due to the need to have to plug wires to the board and your dealing with electricity.

ME
    11:08 AM
    i understand the corporate schpeal, but would installing it myself void the warranty on the indoor/outdoor units?

REP
    11:09 AM
    We would not be able to assist with any technical support here at the manufacturer if something were to go wrong while installing the unit.

REP
    11:09 AM
    It could if something were to go wrong with your unit while you are installing it.

ME
    11:12 AM
    i understand the lack of technical support of the remote, but assuming nothing goes wrong with the installation, would a problem down the line, NOT CAUSED BY THE REMOTE THERMOSTAT, void the main warranty just because i installed it myself?

When i say "warranty," i mean the warranty on the main system (not remote thermostat).

REP
    11:13 AM
    Not that we are aware of.

ME
    ok, thanks

REP
    If something were to happen to the unit because of a short due to the install of the MHK1 then yes

ME
    that i can understand

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |