GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Ventilating heat pump water heater

Greyd | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I have to replace my 28 year old ventilating heat pump water heater (leak in tank) and can’t find anything to fit the bill. My unit doubles as an air to air heat exchanger. When the water heater cycles on, air is ducted from the bathroom & kitchen, across the coil in the heat pump, and outside. Fresh, replacement air is allowed into the house through small openings in outside walls in bedroom closets. None of the heat pump water heaters I’ve found allow for ducting in although some can be adapted for ducting outside. But I need the ducting in function to adjust air quality (humidity) in the home. Anyone know of a product that will work?
Thanks, Grey [email protected]

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Grey,
    I don't know of any heat-pump water heater that operates exactly as you describe. But any heat-pump water heater (except the Sanden, which has an outdoor compressor) will dehumidify your house if you install the water heater indoors.

2. Greyd | | #2

Thank you Martin,
    My unit is located in a small unheated room that is cold in the winter and nowhere near the bath or kitchen. Not a good spot for heat pump water heating or clearing excess humidity. Since I posted my question I've been talking with manufacturers' tech supports and Rheem may have the answer with their Prestige Series, which does allow for ducting in and out.
    Grey

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |