GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is in solid glue-down cork tile ?

user-5378275 | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

My wife and I are looking to install a glue down solid cork tile in our on-grade basement. Finding it hard to get definite answers. 1. Is there formaldehyde or other chemical used in production? 2. What is a high quality yet natural, low – no VOC oil finish to apply o cork once installed? and 3. What is a long lasting, high quality contact cement for installing over 1 year old slab? Slab is dry and clean with insulation and vapor barrier underneath. We’re looking to keep cost of tiles low and have been looking at Jelinek and We cork in unfinished 12″ X 12″. 4. Does anybody know about these 2 products? Thanks, Ben

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Ben,
    I have never heard that manufacturers of cork flooring use formaldehyde. I doubt that they do. Distributors of "green" materials often tout cork flooring -- see, for example, this web site (Green Building Supply), where the distributor claims that "Cork flooring is perhaps one of Nature's greenest miracle floors. Made from all natural and renewable ingredients, cork floors are highly versatile, beautiful and sustainable." (Needless to say, the fact that a distributor makes a claim isn't proof that the claim is true, but it may be an indication worth noting.)

The only source for advice on adhesive should be the advice provided by the manufacturer or distributor of the flooring. If the manufacturer and distributor are unable to provide installation instructions, walk away and find a different distributor. You should only install cork flooring on a slab if (a) the flooring manufacturer approves such an installation, and (b) you use the adhesive recommended by the flooring manufacturer.

2. user-5378275 | | #2

thanks martin

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |