GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Residential urinals: Show me your installations!

zsetley | Posted in Interior Design on

We are building a master bath where none has previously been. I’m looking into including a urinal into the design. I’ve got a 5×9 or 6×9 space available.

I’m looking for shots of your bathroom! How have you laid it out? What works? doesn’t work? Any models you recommend?

Since I don’t think we can post photos here, if you don’t have yours already hosted somewhere, can you please email them to me?! [email protected]

Thanks in advance,
Stephanie

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Stephanie,
    Lots of manufacturers have assumed that there is a market for residential urinals, and they have been proved wrong, again and again. It turns out that there is virtually no market, because no one wants one.

One device that got a lot of attention about seven years ago was the Mister Miser fold-up urinal (see image below). The Mister Miser company went out of business due to low sales.

And by the way, it's perfectly possible to post photos on the Q&A page at GBA. Look for the words "File attachments." Click the words to see the drop-down options.

2. charlie_sullivan | | #2

It is, of course, perfectly possible to install a urinal in a residence without using a special residential model. And they are available at a wide range of price points and in a wide range of styles. There are models that use 0.5 gallons per flush or even zero. So in a region with limited water supply they have a green benefit.

Unfortunately, it seems that this turns out to be the wrong place to find people with ideas and experience with layout of residential bathrooms with urinals. For what it's worth, Houzz has hundreds of photos of them.

3. martyzone5 | | #3

I had two of the Mister Miser in a previous home I had installed it and love them I wish I had taken them out and took them with me.

Having said that I'm building a new home and thinking about installing some waterless urinals and wanting to get some input the home will be very tight, building it out of ICF including the roof. Looking to understand if there's any issues I need to be concerned about I will be building off grid so just wondering if there's any issues with the septic system as well.

4. antipode | | #4

I installed a urinal in my garage closet. Easier than tramping through the house when I'm dirty from whatever project I have on the burner.

Works great, and I'm very happy.

5. nynick | | #5

The only one I ever saw was in a man cave with a pool table above someone's garage. Smelled like urine.

6. drewintoledo | | #6

I just picked up a waterless urinal to put in the half bath next to my garge in the house I'm building. Since I can't find anyone in my area to build a GOOD house, I am forced to do it myself, so I probably won't have finished pictures for 2 or 3 years. But here's my urinal, regardless. She's a beauty and will be mounted a couple feet off the floor.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |