Residential urinals: Show me your installations!

We are building a master bath where none has previously been. I'm looking into including a urinal into the design. I've got a 5x9 or 6x9 space available.

I'm looking for shots of your bathroom! How have you laid it out? What works? doesn't work? Any models you recommend?

Since I don't think we can post photos here, if you don't have yours already hosted somewhere, can you please email them to me?! spyke_82@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance,
Stephanie

Asked by user-6871020
Posted Jun 30, 2017 6:34 PM ET
Edited Jul 1, 2017 5:37 AM ET

1.

Stephanie,
Lots of manufacturers have assumed that there is a market for residential urinals, and they have been proved wrong, again and again. It turns out that there is virtually no market, because no one wants one.

One device that got a lot of attention about seven years ago was the Mister Miser fold-up urinal (see image below). The Mister Miser company went out of business due to low sales.

And by the way, it's perfectly possible to post photos on the Q&A page at GBA. Look for the words "File attachments." Click the words to see the drop-down options.

.

Mister Miser urinal.jpg
Posted Jul 1, 2017 5:42 AM ET
Edited Jul 1, 2017 5:45 AM ET.

2.

It is, of course, perfectly possible to install a urinal in a residence without using a special residential model. And they are available at a wide range of price points and in a wide range of styles. There are models that use 0.5 gallons per flush or even zero. So in a region with limited water supply they have a green benefit.

Unfortunately, it seems that this turns out to be the wrong place to find people with ideas and experience with layout of residential bathrooms with urinals. For what it's worth, Houzz has hundreds of photos of them.

Answered by Charlie Sullivan
Posted Jul 2, 2017 10:57 AM ET