GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Will VOC’s from paint travel through flooring of apartment?

trentpain | Posted in Interior Design on

I have a severe allergy to anything new (carpet, paint, most flooring, etc.). I currently live on the 2nd floor of a 3 story apartment building. I just found out that the tenant above me will be moving out – so the apartment will be painted and prepared for the next tenant. My concern is that the VOC’s from the new paint will pass through the flooring into my apartment. Is this something that occurs rapidly almost effortlessly, or something that is rather slow? I really appreciate your time.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Trent,
    It depends on several factors, including:

1. Whether the separation between your apartments has been properly air sealed. (Often there are air paths between apartments, due to wiring penetrations, plumbing penetrations, and sloppy construction practices.)

2. Whether your neighbor's apartment is pressurized or depressurized with respect to your apartment. (From your perspective, depressurized would be good -- pressurized would be bad.)

If your neighbor runs a supply fan to bring in outdoor air, that will help odors migrate to your apartment. If your neighbor runs his or her exhaust fans, that will reduce odor transfer.

If you run your exhaust fans, you will also help odors migrate from your neighbor's apartment to yours. If you run a supply fan, you will limit the transfer of odors from your neighbor's apartment.

So, I advise you to pressurize your apartment if you are worried. Put a fan in one of your windows; the fan should blow in. Run your exhaust fans as little as possible.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |