Use regular OSB or Zip Wall OSB in conjunction with 2" XPS?

My wall plan consists of:
1- fiber cement siding
2- 3/4" air gap/ 1x4 firing strips
3- 15# felt (or possibly Tyvek housewrap) for general protection of the XPS
4- 2" rigid XPS with taped seams and caulked at butt joints
5- 7/16" OSB (possibly taped Zip Wall)
6- 2x4 24OC stud wall with mineral wool or fiberglass insulation
7- 1/2" drywall sealed at top and bottom and around device boxes and penetrations

Asked By Nathan Mogilski | May 22 15

HVAC options?

I need some help with HVAC planning for a duplex I am currently looking to build. It will be located in South West Manitoba aka Zone 7A from looking at the map.

I have a couple of options...
1) Stick built on site. This would give me the option of a slab foundation aka hydronic radiant heat.
2) RTM moved onto crawl space foundation. This would not allow for hydronic radiant unless I attached the lines to the underside of the RTM flooring (not inside a slab).

Asked By R Yan | May 12 15

Vinyl siding renovation

Hi

Asked By Chris Felker | May 14 15

Can I reuse single-pane steel sash windows?

A client would like to restore some window openings that were bricked-over by a previous owner. The original single-pane steel sash casement windows had been stored, and are in excellent condition. The building department views these "restored" openings as "new" openings, and requires compliance with the energy code, i.e. window U-factor of 0.30 or better. (The default value for these windows is U=1.20 per Table R303.1.3.)

Asked By Robert Drucker | May 21 15

Soundproofing from street noise

Anyone able to recommend a good quality sound proof window? Right now I am facing problem of street noise

Asked By Margareta Svensson | May 22 15

Soundproofing Bedrooms

What's the general consensus for economically soundproofing bedrooms for guests/family comfort during normal daily life? I'm aware of using more than one layer of drywall, and would like to avoid this option.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your advise,

Robert

Asked By Robert Car | Oct 15 10

ADA sealant recommendation please

I'd like to air seal my baseboards to my drywall and concrete slab as part of an ADA.
What would you guys use to seal wood to acrylic paint & unfinished concrete?

I picked up some GE Silicone II Gutter & Flashing which says it sticks to wood and concrete, but was wondering if there was a better choice.

Thanks for your help,
-Richard

Asked By Richard Baumgarten | May 21 15

Ductless minisplits - Zone 5 - with basement

Hello folks, this is my first post at GBA so bear (beer) with me. My son and I are building a new for my wife and I to live our days out in, two story bungalow style with a full basement under.

Some stats;

Exterior Walls - 2x6 16" on center with 2' XPS on exterior, wet blown cellulose in the bays. 3/4" rain screen furring over foam, cedar lap siding. R19 in the bays + R10 = R29+

Ceiling - 2x10 sealed vault flash (core bond) + batt - R49

Basement Walls 8' (6.5" below grade/ 1.5" above) with 1.5" polyiso + R13 Batt in 2.4 stud wall over foam - R22

Basement Slab - 2" XPS

Asked By Brian Martin | May 16 15

Loud popping in ceiling or attic since newer insulation and roof

We live in the northwest. In the winter there is no noise. As soon as it starts to warm up there are very loud popping noises that sound like they are coming from the attic or ceiling. Wondering about heat in the attic. Workers said there is a lot of insulation - not sure what kind.

Any ideas what to investigate?

Asked By M Miles | May 20 15

Interesting SIP alternative

Came across this site EZ Sip (http://structuralinsulatedpanels.com/).

My original retirement house plan was the standard 2x6 wall framing, Roxul batt interior, with 1/2" ply exterior wall then 2" of Roxul then the furring strips with appropriate siding.

After seeing this concept and the associated savings in construction time, I am now in a bit of a quandary. Method does seem to meet interior and exterior insulation values, as well as issues of stud bleed through. Having ply on out side resolves potential accumulation of moisture due to dew point issues.

Asked By William Oldaker | May 19 15