Mini Split Questions

-I'm in zone 4, midwest US, and am about to buy a ductless split system for my main structure and the addition I'm finishing now. I am concerned as three of the five rooms I am putting them in are pretty oversized (~2600k btu load cooling, using the 6k heads) and the rep is saying I should go with the H2i. He said if I never need the low temp operations, the heater was worth the money.

Asked By Mike M | Dec 5 16

Insulating 4-inch exterior walls

I am in the process of total gut remodel project, zone 5, 2x4 walls and installing vinyl siding.
I am trying to decide if I should use structural insulated sheathing such as Huber Zip-R and closed cell foam to fill stud cavity's. or install foam on outside exterior sheathing and use open cell foam.
any feedback would be appreciated.

Asked By Steve Karkau | Dec 5 16

Insulating an unvented roof

I'm looking to finish the ceiling (underside of roof rafters) in a workshop/barn that is only heated when occupied. I'm in IEEC zone 6 (upstate NY) so it gets cold. Can't pull off the roof because it's relatively new and in great shape. Any work has to come from the inside. Right now there's a double layer (6") of rigid polyiso insulation in each rafter bay. The insulation if faced on both sides with fiberglass impregnated black paper (nasty stuff). There's also about 3" of open space between where the insulation stops and the edge of the roof rafters.

Asked By David Wittner | Dec 5 16

What is the relationship between air source heat pump and indoor heat pump water heater?

I am sure this has been analyzed here before, but I want to check my reasoning. A criticism of heat pump water heaters is that they cannibalize the home heat source and so during the heating season perform exactly as electric water heater efficiency. However if the heat is provided at COP 3 from an external air source mini split, then am I correct that the heat that is being "borrowed" by the heat pump water heater is also COP 3 and so year round the heat pump water heater functions at COP 3 or better?

Asked By ven sonata | Dec 5 16

Mini-split energy usage

My first winter with a Mitsubishi ductless 15000 BTU (MSZ-GE15NA & MUZ-GE15NA). It's been in the low 30s in Seattle the past few days. I attached the electric usage recorded by my e-gauge. In the past (warmer temps) the usage curve is pretty flat. Now it's pretty jagged. Is it working properly (i.e.efficiently)? Thanks.

Asked By S K | Dec 5 16

How important is a thermal break between a house foundation and an attached garage foundation?

Our footings were poured today for a new house and attached garage. The walls of the basement foundation (9') and garage foundation are scheduled to be poured next week.

Looking over the plans, our concrete sub is worried about the 7" thermal break between the basement and garage foundations (no physical connection) as currently drawn on the plans. The separation is there in order to allow us to attach 5" of Roxul Comfortboard 80 to the basement foundation (we'll be doing the same for the whole exterior perimeter of the basement foundation).

Asked By Eric Whetzel | Dec 2 16

Filling nail holes in Zip?

I have a question. Framing almost done. Have exterior sheathing done with Zip board.

I noticed that the framers' guns' pressure was high, and nails in some areas went deep into Zip, or in some areas nails missed the studs.

Question: Does it make sense to try to fill deep shot nails with a liquid barrier of some type?

If yes, what type?

I was also thinking of putting a stapled or peel-and-stick weather barrier over the Zip instead. Does that make any sense?

Asked By Boris Rubinstein | Dec 5 16

Fill stud cavity with fiberglass insulation?

I am finalizing a house design in zone 5. Exterior walls to be insulated with R10 XPS exterior of the sheathing and R13 fiberglass in the wood stud cavity. Peel and stick will be directly applied to sheathing per REMOTE style walls.

My concern: wood studs will be both 2x4 and 2x6 construction, with 2x6s where walls are tall (10 ft.). Is R13 insulation pushed towards exterior (I'll have to figure out the best way to do that) OK or should I fill the cavity with insulation in the tall walls? Will ratio of R19 to R10 work re: moisture control?

Thanks in advance.

Asked By Joel Cheely | Dec 4 16

How to employ a mixing valve in a closed loop radiant heat system

We are just wrapping up the new roof on my project house and now its [past] time to turn our attention to HVAC - or, more specifically this time of year, Heating! This 1975 house came with radiant heat ceilings as the only source of heat. Recently we have been having night time lows in the teens and daytime highs here in Northern Nevada zone 5 at 5000 feet are usually in the 40's. I have done some preliminary calcs on heat gain/loss, and plan on doing a full Manual J model before laying out any cash for components.

Asked By Roger Smith | Dec 1 16

We plan to use Obdyke Hydrogap between the Hardie board siding and the Zip wall

We plan to use Obdyke Hydrogap between the Hardie board siding and the Zip wall. Will that be an adequate drainage plane? Or are furring strips also needed?

Asked By Courtney McCracken | Dec 5 16