Purchasing electricity

Exploring utility options outside the local utility:

Where do you purchase electricity? What is the cheapest commercial/non-solar source?

Thank you.

Asked By Emerson | Feb 23 18

Brick house insulation

All,
First of all, I wanted to wish everyone Happy and Prosperous New Year!
I would like to ask for an advice regarding a wall cavity composition. I am in Westchester County, 30 miles north of New York City, climate zone 4. I am about to acquire a brick house (tiny brick, maybe 2-3 inches thick). Single wythe, I believe. I think that brick is just decorative and is not load bearing at all. Only cinder blocks in the basement support the floor joists. Second floor ceiling joists are supported by wood framing.

Asked By Sebastian Smith | Dec 29 17

Climate Zone 3C: Crawl space, roof, and wall systems review

I'm in the design phase of a remodel of an existing 2 story house, CZ3 coastal, zip code 95062. The scope includes a new foundation and gutting the house with some interior walls moving, but for the most part keeping the existing exterior shape and roof line. Goal is a high performing house (well insulated, air sealed, mechanically ventilated, high IAQ and minimal heating and cooling loads). I've attached a line drawing of the shell for reference.

Asked By Phil Boutelle | Jan 9 18

Zehnder HRV/ERV configuration

We got a quote on a HRV/ERV 550 model, we had been trying to decide whether to size down to a 350 or not but I think we're going to stick with the 550 they recommended.

Asked By J M | Feb 23 18

Sealing Framing to subfloor

What is the best way to seal bottom plates to subfloors when framing? In my current house, I went around and caulked after the walls were up. Is it better to put a sealant on the bottom plate before raising the wall? How about a 1/4" Sill Seal like Denarco makes? Or an EPDM gasket? My walls are 2x8. I don't want to spend huge amounts of money, so what is most effective, and cost effective?

Asked By Kevin Spellman | Feb 23 18

Closed-cell or open-cell foam?

With a wall system that consists of 2"x4" wood framed walls, 1/2" plywood sheathing covered with #15 building paper or house wrap and sided with vinyl or cement board would closed or open cell spray foam provide some level of water resistance during a minor flood? Would the sheathing and studs be able to dry? Would rock wool be a better choice for insulation?

Asked By Anthony Swoope | Feb 23 18

Wall, floor, and roof build layers

A little background.

Starting construction on a small house in Texas, west side of Houston,
Climate zone 2A - wet & humid
Conditioned living space is 1280 square feet
House is being built in a FLOOD WAY, Yes I said in a FLOOD WAY
We already have approval to do this, which has taken us quite some time to accomplish.

House will be elevated approximately 6' off the existing grade on concrete filled
fiberglass pipes with re-bar reinforcing inside. I have designed a steel collar, plate, &
C-channel attachment system that our engineer is comfortable with.

Asked By von Leyser | Feb 23 18

Basement insulation

which is healthier for me: cellulose or spray urea foam?

Asked By User-7026287 | Feb 23 18

HPWH - To duct or not to duct?, that is the question

As noted in an earlier question, I will be putting a heat pump water heater in my crawlspace. The Rheem unit I have allows ducts. I want to get the maximum circulation of air in my crawlspace to dehumidify it and am wondering if ducting the cooled exhaust to the far end of the crawlspace might be worth it. Rheem says I can use up to 125' of 8" flex duct, which should be more than enough.

Asked By Norman Bunn | Feb 23 18

Seal and Insulate 60's Attic?

First off I apologize if this is the wrong category.

I currently have an L shaped ranch style home that was built in 1961 with a 3:12 slope hip roof with 3" overhangs. I currently have three gable vents, and no soffit venting. There is little to no insulation in the walls except on the south and west facing walls where I have opened them up over the years when doing renovations and installed R-13 fiberglass batt insulation. I would probably grade myself a II on install quality. In the attic there is blown in rockwool insulation about 6-8 inches deep.

Asked By Striker169 | Feb 22 18