Vaulted / Cathedral Ceiling -- Unvented

Hi, I'm in the process of building a cabin near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. I can't tell for sure since the climate zone map is for the US only, but I'm guessing this would be equivalent to Zone 6B or 7B.

Asked By user-7075735 | May 23 18

Spray foam from crawlspace onto bottom of plank subfloor in Pacific NW?

Hi there - I'm in a 1955 house in Seattle, WA, over a vented, unconditioned crawlspace, with hardwood flooring on top of plank subfloor with no insulation under it.

Asked By Frasca | May 21 18

Double stud wall sheathing / air sealing

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments/advice.

I am in the framing stage of residential home in central NC (Zone 4A). The exterior walls have been designed as a double-stud 2x4 assembly.

The interior double stud has been spec'd to be sheathed with 1/2 in CDX w/ taped joints and r-15 Roxul batts, cavity insulation as dense-pack cellulose to r-20, and exterior double stud finished off with another 1/2in CDX, followed by WRB, 1/2" vertical furring for rainscreen, 3/8" horizontal furring (to accomodate for Hardie board and batt siding.

Asked By Corcakalaka | May 22 18

Exterior sheathing and insulation

Hello new member here. Plan on building a home in TN, climate zone 4A. Want to make this home very efficient and comfortable. Planning on geothermal ground exchange HVAC as no natural gas is available in the area. My question is around exterior wall insulation.

Asked By Cdgatti | May 21 18

Spray foam questions

Hello all, thanks for any help in advanced.

Asked By Stanger133 | May 20 18

Please critique my floor plans (first draft)

This house build is in rural Southwestern New Hampshire. 1500sq ft ish. 2 story, 2 bedroom, no basement. Site is south-facing Hillside. House will be on the north edge of a 2 acre clearing. Site has really good exposure for PV panels.

Details:
Shooting for Net Zero with PV Solar array on garage (11kw ish)
Double stud wall construction
ZIP system sheathing
Very tight air sealing details (with a blower door test)
variable permeance interior vapor retarder--- Pro Clima Intello Plus
R20 floor, R40 wall, R60 ceiling
dense pack cellulose insulation (walls, roof)

Asked By Tech1234 | May 17 18

Spray Foam Unvented Ceiling

Hello, new to this forum and I've seen a lot of good information in what I've read so far. Hoping to get some advice on how to insulate a ceiling in a detached office/accessory building on the Oregon Coast. I rebuilt an old garage and created a single pitch 2:12 unvented ceiling. Rafters are 2x10, uninsulated metal roof on top. I was planning to spray foam 2" of closed cell in the ceiling cavity. My question is do I need to fill the remaining cavity with batt or something else or could I leave 7 1/2 inch gap between the foam and sheet rock?

Asked By Dan McGuire | May 22 18

1 1/2 storey Framhouse in BC

Hi, I'm looking for some thoughts on our current design for our 2000 sqft home.

Asked By Michael Blake | May 22 18

Ecodrain Drain Water Heat Recovery

I first learned about Drain Water Heat Recovery pipes here on GBA and wanted to give back a very small token of appreciation in a short review.

I recently ordered and installed Ecodrain's V1000 and have been quite impressed with it. It's near the top of the CSA B55.1 list for highest efficiency and the price is quite reasonable:
3-inch diameter models:

VT1000-3-36 .......... $469
VT1000-3-48 .......... $524--my model
VT1000-3-60 .......... $564
VT1000-3-72 .......... $614

4-inch diameter models:

VT1000-4-36 .......... $549
VT1000-4-48 .......... $644

Asked By pat beurskens | May 22 18

Merits of removing masonry chimney?

Hi all,

The sixty year old chimney at my 50s ranch is severely damaged from moisture kicked off by our hot-water heater (now replaced with an indirect WH off our boiler). I've received several bids to have it rebuilt but I have a different idea. I am thinking of tearing down the chimney to below the roofline, insert a round metal chimney vent in its place, and finally roof & CC sprayfoam the cavity left behind. Rather than a 6' by 3' chimney I'd then only have two 6" metal pipes (basement & 1st floor fireplaces). The chimney is in the back of the house and adds nothing aesthetic.

Asked By Brian Gray | May 22 18