GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Tongue-and-groove ceiling

skoons | Posted in Interior Design on

Hello,
I currently building an addition and plan on putting up a knotty pine tongue and groove (1×6, 3/4″ thick) ceiling attached to the bottom of scissors trusses. The trusses are 24″ on center. I plan on putting up 5/8″ drywall first to get an airtight assembly. The tongue and groove pine is end matched (ends are tongue and groove as well). My question is this, with the drywall up, am I ok not ending each piece of pine on a truss seeing that the ends are also tongue and groove, or am I asking for trouble if the boards aren’t nailed on the ends?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. wjrobinson | | #1

I would use rigid foam as you then add insulation. I never use drywall.

You can put your joints where ever and they will do fine.

Tape the rigid foam seams and caulk it glue it to the entire perimeter for a good air seal.

2. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #2

Scott,
    No you are just fine as long as the boards aren't all shorts and span at least two trusses.

3. skoons | | #3

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |