GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

RV floor electric heat

Popkornkid | Posted in Mechanicals on

Greetings ; we bought a 10 year old RV last Fall and anticipate needing additional floor heat for our Canadian climate even in summer . So after a little research found STEP heating .
So far have received a estimate of about $2500 just for the electrics plus we need floor insulation and new flooring. This puts us at about $25/sqFt minimum just for a start.
This might be justified if we use the RV a lot longer and for a longer season then normal .
Propane which is our alternative is much more expensive as has been mentioned about $1per pound here. ($4.50/gallon ? )

What is your opinion ?

Len

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. dinnerbellmel | | #1

It's a really funny that you posted this because I have own an RV and was thinking about how nice radiant heat would be just this morning...haha. It has a lot of practical uses as long as you have the electric hook-ups. My concern is the cost. That's pretty expensive for an RV where many people buy and sell RV's as their needs/wants change so quickly. I'm on my 3rd RV now where the previous purchases were the "final" last one I would ever get.

2. Popkornkid | | #2

Yes we have observed that same thing with a few of our aquatenceses as well , having said that we do own 2 , a trailer and motorhome, each used for specific reasons at the time. Rather then go thru the sell-buy-sell cycle we determined to buy as good a quality as possible then upgrade / renovate putting in the stuff we want and not lose money every time we buy & sell.
    So we arrive at the present situation , carefully evaluating , researching , finally trying to spend limited resources on the best solution.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Len,
    Propane may be an expensive fuel -- but so is electricity, especially if you are considering the use of electric-resistance heating rather than a heat pump. I doubt whether electricity will be any cheaper than propane.

If you don't install the electric resistance heating system, and if your RV measures 200 square feet (just guessing), you'll save $5,000. With the $5,000 savings, you can buy over 1,000 gallons of propane.

4. Popkornkid | | #4

Yes that is why we are doubtful about the result , if insulating was straight forward it would be easy to decide , even using spray foam will be tricky , and possibly not a good long term solution .

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |