GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Digital vs. VRF Scroll Compressors?

lance_p | Posted in Mechanicals on

I’m looking at two different heat pumps, one using a digital scroll and the other a VRF (variable speed) scroll compressor.

The digital scroll compressor modulates output by separating the scrolls on a duty cycle, essentially a mechanical way of turning the compressor on/off as necessary while keeping the motor running. Modulation is from 100-10%.

The VRF scroll compressor modulates output by varying the speed of the compressor. Modulation is from 100-30%.

Does anyone here have experience with comparing the two technologies? I’m going to assume the VRF system will be more efficient at the compressor level while modulating, but the drive electronics are going to have some inherent inefficiency (90% maybe?). The digital scroll system will likely have much less electrical losses in its controls, but the compressor itself uses more energy when it’s modulating due to the compressor freewheeling. The digital scroll will modulate down further, however, to 10% of its full output.

Anyone have any thoughts or links to good articles comparing the two? I’ve done some searching around and haven’t found anything concrete.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. lance_p | | #1

Bumping my question from a while back.

2. Jon_R | | #2

As far as I know, all the top efficiency heat pumps use inverter speed control.

3. Thrould1 | | #3

Web design services are the digital architects behind stunning online landscapes. Their canvas blends creativity and functionality, weaving compelling visuals and seamless navigation into user-friendly websites. Meticulous attention to mobile responsiveness and SEO optimization ensures widespread accessibility and visibility. and check out our work In today's digital frontier, web design services are the visionary artists, transforming ideas into captivating online experiences that leave a lasting impression.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |