GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Location recommendations for minisplit heads

user-6811621 | Posted in Mechanicals on

I know it’s been asked many times, but would appreciate suggestions on locating the head units for two minisplits in my ‘pretty good house’. I have attached the floorplan. Some things to note on the house:

– Climate Zone 6b, southcentral Montana
– majority of windows are on the east side for the river view
– windows and doors are double-pane. South windows are high SGHC for solar gain
– first floor concrete slab
– underslab = R20, walls = R40, roof = R60, windows = R4

The intention is to have one unit on the first floor to provide the majority of heating and another on the second floor to provide cooling. I will likely go with the Fujitsu cold weather units.

I have strongly considered a floor-mount unit on the first floor, perhaps along the NE or SE corners to direct heat along the east wall, but not sure how to drain condensation with a floor mount and slab. Any ideas on that? The second floor would be a wall mount, near the ceiling.

many thanks, all

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Brian,
    If your upstairs ceiling is high enough, and your closet door is low enough, perhaps you can mount the second floor unit above the closet door.

2. user-6811621 | | #2

Thanks Martin,
    Those locations are what I was thinking as well. The second floor ceiling is standard 96" finish height below the 2x4 ceiling chase, so there should be around 14-15" above the closet door. This should be just enough as the head unit is ~12" high. Do you have any ideas on dealing with condensation in a floor mount unit on the first floor slab or is not an issue if it's only used for heating?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Brian,
    The lineset of the floor-mounted indoor unit (refrigeration tubing and condensation piping) exits through the wall at the rear of the unit above the slab. The illustration below is for a floor-mounted Mitsubishi unit.

More info here:
    http://meus1.mylinkdrive.com/files/MFZ-KJ09-18NA-U1_Installation_JG79Y071H02_02-16.pdf

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |