Ventilation for basement

I recently insulated my basement with rigid foam and have begun framing. My house is heated and cooled with minisplit units and I was thinking that it might be good to have a way to ventilate my basement since I live in New York and opening the windows during summer would introduce a lot of moisture into the basement. The basement consists of only about 500sqft so I was hoping to find something fairly reasonable in price. I saw that Panasonic has a whisper comfort model for around $300 but it looks like that system can only remove and return air from the same point. I was concerned that this would also be returning some moisture with the outside air (although less than the ambient humidity) so I was wondering if there was an inexpensive way to exhaust air from my basement and return air to a room upstairs? Any ideas? Should I just go with the whisper comfort? Thanks for any suggestions.

Kevin

Asked by Kevin Schramm
Posted May 16, 2018 12:34 PM ET

1.

Kevin,
There's no reason you can't install a Panasonic exhaust fan in your basement, with a duct that exits your home at the rim joist. If you cut a floor grille in the floor above the basement -- choose an inconspicuous spot -- the makeup air for the exhaust fan will come from upstairs.

Posted May 16, 2018 12:57 PM ET

2.

I think the panasonic whisper comfort was an erv that exhausts and returns air from the same spot. I think you are suggesting that I just install a normal exhaust fan and cut an open grill so that air can circulate more easily between the basement and the upstairs so that when I exhaust air from downstairs makeup air will seep into the cracks of the house and the air from upstairs will be forced through the vents and back into the basement?

Answered by Kevin Schramm
Posted May 16, 2018 1:31 PM ET

3.

Kevin,
You understood my suggestion correctly. It's one of many options.

You asked, "I was wondering if there was an inexpensive way to exhaust air from my basement and return air to a room upstairs?"

I'm not sure what you meant by "return air." But if your upstairs is cooled by air conditioning, and you want to introduce some of that dry upstairs air into the basement while simultaneously exhausting air from the basement, my suggestion would work.

Posted May 16, 2018 1:37 PM ET

4.

Right. Thank you!

Answered by Kevin Schramm
Posted May 16, 2018 1:49 PM ET