GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

The Vermont Bun Baker

user-757117 | Posted in Mechanicals on

Have any of you guys living in Vermont heard of the Vermont Bun Baker?
http://www.vermontwoodstove.com/
It seems like it might be a nice little unit, but I can’t seem to find any reviews. The website claims 70% efficiency and EPA certification, but again, I can’t seem to find anyone who’s actually used one.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Riversong | | #1

I've heard of it and checked it out on-line because someone I met was considering buying one for her little cabin in the woods (I don't know if she did).

All new woodstoves sold in the US are required to be EPA certified for limiting emissions, and that happens to require an increase in efficiency from the old 50% range. The EPA does not require each stove to be tested for efficiency, and assigns a uniform 63% for non-catalytics and 72% for catalytic stoves.

The real measure is net efficiency, which includes both combustion efficiency and heat transfer efficiency. EPA tests in 1996 showed average net efficiencies of both catalytic and non-catalytic woodstoves to be 68%.

Soapstone stoves, like the Bun Baker, are both beautiful and excellent for reducing surface temperatures and storing heat. Soapstone, at 40% the density of cast iron or steel, has twice the specific heat and one third the thermal effusivity - it's propensity to transmit heat to the environment. So it stores more heat per pound and releases it more slowly than ferrous metal stoves.

You can hardly go wrong with a Vermont-made woodstove. The Vermont Downdrafter, the Vermont Castings Defiant, the Vermont Stove Company Elm were all excellent stoves for their time.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |