GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Ground-source heat pump — Watts used?

user-956864 | Posted in Mechanicals on

I love my ground-source heat pump and my SIPs addition and ERV. My house feels comfy & fresh. I am trying to figure usage numbers.

Fan blower watts?
Climate Master TTV049 two-stage.
Cooling capacity, 50,600 full, 39,600 part load.
Heating capacity 37,500 full, 31,200 part load.
No auxilliary heat strips.
Blower FLA7 AGL20A

And well pump watts used? 3 wells, 400 feet, each 1.2 amp.

Enough already. Where do I go to figure the watt draw on these things?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. davidmeiland | | #1

Well, watts = volts times amps, so you need to measure the amps drawn accurately. This is very easy with a 120V appliance, because you can plug it into a Kill-A-Watt meter or something similar, and it will automatically track usage over time. It's a little harder with a 240V appliance, but there are metering devices that will handle both legs at once, and track over time as well. If you have something that runs continuously, you can measure the draw with a clamp meter, but most things turn on and off, and/or vary their draw, so you need some tracking capability.

2. user-956864 | | #2

Thanks for going easy on my question. As I started to type I guess I realized that if I detailed chapters of specs I couldn't tell the whole story. You were brief, clear and effective, thanks. I've got to measure to come close to an answer to my question. How many watts does my blower fan draw?

3. davidmeiland | | #3

If I'm reading your post correctly, the motor nameplate lists Full Load Amps = 7.0. Tempting to say that 7A at 120V is 840 watts, but typically, it's going to draw less than FLA while running, so you really need to meter it to know what it's pulling, and you need a long enough sample time to even out any variations. Ratings don't really tell you enough.

The easiest way to get the data that I think you want is to use something like a TED 5001, or another power meter with multiple current probes. Get your heating system wired to your electrical panel so that a couple of breakers are running the system and nothing else, and then meter the operation over time via those breakers.

If you really want to go whole hog, you can start measuring the temperature rise and flow rate of the water going through your geo pump to the floor, and turn that into a cost per BTU. You need to buy some hardware and do some setup, but you can meter this stuff if you want to. You can get real-time readings on your screen. I'm sure someone else (Michael Chandler?) here knows more about exactly what to do.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Rick,
    I will echo David's warning about the need to measure power use over time. Standby power usage can be large; in one study, a GSHP was drawing 45 watts continuous when it was NOT operating. More info here:
    http://www.carb-swa.com/articles/carbnews%20articles/CNFebruary08.pdf

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |