Connecting a bath fan intake to a duct

My bath fan spot is in a bad place. Thinking about connecting it to a duct rather than having it sit directly above the bathroom. Any watch outs in doing this?

Asked by stephen edge

1.

Stephen,
Builders do it all the time. Of course, you have to use an inline exhaust fan, not a typical ceiling-mounted unit. Several manufacturers make inline fans, including Fantech:
http://residential.fantech.net/residential-products/inline-duct-fans/inl...

2.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to do some reading. Is it acceptable to connect my range hood, laundry and bath to one fan?

Answered by stephen edge

3.

I would say no to the second question. The range hood needs a higher flow rate and a larger duct than the bath fans. You could probably use one inline fan for a pair of bathrooms if you really want to, with a three-way switch.

4.

Thanks David. Can they share a wall penetration? Or no because of the duct size?

Answered by stephen edge

5.

Stephen, are you asking if a range hood and bath fan could share a wall penetration? I would really try to avoid it. You would have to wye the ducts together and use backdraft dampers upstream of the wye on both sides (to prevent the fans from blowing air through each other and back into the house). I think it would be highly unusual. I assume you are trying to avoid multiple ugly mechanical vent caps on the front of your house, but you could get a tin man to make a nice looking dual termination, or have a carpenter make a wooden hood that makes them less visible.