GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Minisplit vs direct-vent gas heater

mrbreadpuddin | Posted in Mechanicals on

Lots of stuff about minisplits in the blogs; I’m wondering are direct vent gas heaters are cheaper to install? more expensive to run? My interest is theoretical, but I live in Vt. so AC is not an issue.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

William,
    Q. "I'm wondering are direct vent gas heaters are cheaper to install? more expensive to run?"

A. Cheaper to install -- yes. Figure $1,000 to $1,500 to install a gas space heater, versus $3,500 to $5,000 to install a minisplit. Of course, with the minisplit you also get cooling.

Q. Concerning the cost of operation: it depends on your local cost for gas and electricity. Propane is much more expensive than natural gas. To perform the calculation, use this online calculator:
    http://www.buildinggreen.com/calc/fuel_cost.cfm

For more information on this issue, see Heating a Tight, Well-Insulated House.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |