GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Minisplit vs direct-vent gas heater

mrbreadpuddin | Posted in Mechanicals on

Lots of stuff about minisplits in the blogs; I’m wondering are direct vent gas heaters are cheaper to install? more expensive to run? My interest is theoretical, but I live in Vt. so AC is not an issue.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

William,
    Q. "I'm wondering are direct vent gas heaters are cheaper to install? more expensive to run?"

A. Cheaper to install -- yes. Figure $1,000 to $1,500 to install a gas space heater, versus $3,500 to $5,000 to install a minisplit. Of course, with the minisplit you also get cooling.

Q. Concerning the cost of operation: it depends on your local cost for gas and electricity. Propane is much more expensive than natural gas. To perform the calculation, use this online calculator:
    http://www.buildinggreen.com/calc/fuel_cost.cfm

For more information on this issue, see Heating a Tight, Well-Insulated House.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |