GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Propane ‘energy pods’

user-659915 | Posted in Mechanicals on

I’m regularly seeing banner ads in my GBA feed for propane ‘energy pods’, linking to this site: http://buildwithpropane.com. I’d welcome comments from those better-informed than I on the claims made there which rather fly in the face of all I thought I understood about the cost effectiveness and carbon emissions of this energy source.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

James,
    The ad makes an apples-to-oranges comparison. It touts the advantages of a 97 AFUE propane furnace compared to an 83 AFUE oil furnace. (Well, duh.) It also assumes that a "standard home" has energy bills of $5,909 a year. The comparison makes lots of assumptions, many of which are unlikely, and all of which favor the use of propane.

There is lots of discussion of the wonderful advantages of features like "Garage Heating and Snow Melt" as well as "Outdoor cooking, fireplace, patio heating."

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |