GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

New HVAC and sizing…

ccraven | Posted in Mechanicals on

I live in Auburn GA., which is about 40 miles northeast of Atlanta. My home is a four sided brick 2 story on an unfinished basement. It was built 13 years ago. HVAC system needs replacing due to continued mechanical problems.

I’ve had several contractors in my home to provide me a proposal for a new HVAC system, and they all have provided proposals with the same size system I have now or larger . Not one of the contractors has performed a Manual J calculation for my home. They have all used the general rule of thumb and a very low square footage per ton to propose the size my new system needs to be.

How should I go about trying to ensure that my new system will be sized correctly. Pricing changes greatly past 2 tons. Should I hire an independent company to perform a proper Manual J calculation or is there something I can do my self to determine the correct size AC and furnace?

Thank you to any and all advice, recommendation, and/or suggestions. Also, any contact info for a reliable and reputable company that can perform a proper and complete Manual J for my home is appreciated….

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

James,
    I would advise you to hire a mechanical engineer or a HERS rater to perform a Manual J calculation.

You can find a HERS rater (otherwise known as a "a Certified RESNET Home Energy Professional") by using the RESNET website.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |