GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Options for HVAC for a residential renovation built in 1979 with no A/C

KGray | Posted in Mechanicals on

Hello all. New user here.

I am renovating a 2 story 2800 sq ft house built in 1979 about an hour west of DC–zone 4A. The house currently has original electric baseboard heat and no A/C so therefore no existing ducts. Half of the first floor is over a cellar (tight and dry) and the other half of the first floor is on slab. The second floor is a 1979 modular trucked in in two halves and bolted together in the middle of the house. The second floor is supported by a 12″ I beam through the center of the first floor and buried in a massive fireplace structure at on end which serves as the interior wall for a large cathedral ceilinged space at the far end of a long house. All very cool and retro Brady Bunch 70’s but giving all of my local HVAC guys a fit.

The problems are (1) getting any kind of traditional ducting around the massive stonework/fireplace structure and (2) getting ducts to both halves of the first floor. I don’t mind running duct alongside the I beam but that only allows me heating and cooling to one half of that floor because we cannot cut through the beam or the 2 X 10 center beams for the floor above resting on the I beam. So therefore I cannot heat or cool both halves of the first floor with a single duct run.

We have explored traditional high efficiency ducted systems and the Mitsubishi ductless system but neither seem to really solve the problem. Yesterday a contractor suggested the Unico high velocity system but he does not know a local installer.

Any comments or concerns with the Unico system in general? Any thoughts about creative ways to get out of this box?

Thanks.

Ken Gray

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Ken,
    You haven't presented a compelling reason why you can't just install ductless minisplits.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |