GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Will we need a sealed combustion boiler with bathroom fan ventilation?

ckkrotz | Posted in Mechanicals on

We are building a “fairly tight” house in Central NH. It will be 2×4 construction with BIBs insulation and 2 ” of polyiso foam on the exterior. We were planning on using a natural draft propane boiler for our heat, but we are now wondering if the negative pressure will cause problems. We were not planning on installing an HRV, but using bathroom fans on timers for ventilation. We are doing all the designing and general contracting for the house ourselves, and my husband is a plumber, so he will be doing the heating system (forced hot water). He is against using a sealed combustion boiler, because he really wants one that vents through the chimney ( I think I’ve found that some do, but not sure). From what I’ve been reading though, it seems like we really need to either need to have a sealed combustion boiler or an HRV. Is this correct? Are there any other options that I’m not thinking of? We really don’t know how tight the house will end up being, but I’d hate to have to either switch out our boiler or retrofit an HRV system a few months after finishing the house.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. davidmeiland | | #1

If you can get a B-vent up through the chimney, you can get a PVC direct vent through it. Natural draft equipment is old technology. Find a way to install a high efficiency boiler.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Kim,
    You shouldn't have any problems with ventilation fans or bathroom exhaust fans. Conceivably, you could have a problem with a large range hood fan, however -- depending on how tight your house is.

It's always better to install a sealed combustion appliance than an atmospherically vented appliance.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |