Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions. The usual rules of courtesy apply: 1. Be nice. 2. If you can't be nice, be polite. 3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief. To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled "More explanation," look for the words "File attachments." Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo. Thanks for joining the conversation!

Answers

We're building a new 2-story home in central Iowa. It will have a below grade basement with 9' foundation walls. The slab will be about 8 feet below grade.

Asked By Silas Hoeppner | Sep 1 14

Has anyone ran across a design guide for passive solar thermal heating and cooling using water-antifreeze as mass in pex metal radiant roof and/or floor-wall lines? I’m thinking solar thermo-siphon vs a mechanical pump.

Asked By Terry Lee | Sep 1 14

I have a question about an effective way to solve an issue in a house with a large family room that has a painted T&G wood planked vaulted ceiling that leaks air and makes the house very cold in the winter.

Asked By Bruce Howe | Sep 1 14

I had R60 blown into my 1000sqft attic where there was previously only about R11. Baffles were installed in almost every roof rafter. Air sealing of attic floor was performed. This is a low pitch asphalt shingled hip roof over the whole house.

Asked By Jeff Watson | Jul 12 14

My home has return grilles on the wall about 3 ft down from the ceiling on 9 ft walls and about 4 ft down on 14 foot walls on the first floor. In the basement, they are on the wall about a foot up from the floor.

I am planning to install a ERV/HRV to combat elevated humidity in winter; I have had water condense along the ceiling edges and on windows during winter. The ERV/HRV will draw air from the return ducts and dump the fresh air into the basement.

Asked By Venkat Y | Aug 31 14

Lots of information on this website, FHB, BSC, etc about airtight drywall approach.

Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I'm not able to find much on the following topics...

1.) What gaskets or caulk work best?
Martin has suggested polyurethane caulk and several brands of gaskets or sill seal in previous posts. Anyone have a particular brand or type of caulk/gasket/seal that they like best? Any tried the "ripped pieces of closed cell sill seal foam" method?
2.) What kind of results people have had using these techniques?

Asked By Robert Kohaus | Sep 1 14

We have a huge ventless gas log fireplace unit that has never been used, nor is planned to be used. We want to remove it, but do not know what is behind or underneath it, and if it will be costly to repair once removed. What is the proper way to remove this monstrosity?

Asked By Pamela Davidson | Aug 31 14

To combat elevated humidity levels in my home, I am planning to connect an HRV to draw air from the HVAC return duct and to then to dump fresh air into the basement. Due to the limited space in the mechanicals/HVAC room, I am planning to install the HRV in the garage, but I see HRV manufacturers want it installed in an operating environment that's at least 50F, so my unheated garage would not be a proper location.

Asked By Venkat Y | Aug 31 14

(If this should be posted elsewhere- feel free to move it, or tell me where to repost it.)
I have a fairly typical Chicago-style, narrow (like 22'), 2-story, balloon-framed house that was built in the 1880s or 1890s, and converted to a 2-flat later.
At some point (maybe in the 2-flat conversion?), the 2-story back porch was enclosed, and the new siding was continued down to grade level- by adding some framing between the wood columns (on piers) that support the porch.

Asked By Ben Rush | Aug 30 14

This is something that as passed a few times in my background brain processes,

How does SHG on exterior cladding/glass influence heatloss ??

If glazings specs 50%VT , a part of the remaining 50% must be converted to heat?

If exterior cladding on a building is black, and sun is shinning on the south face,
it must affect the heatloss greatly for the shined on walls ??

As an example, let's assume a building up here cold north.
20c inside 0c outside.
Sun shines on a large flat south wall that was cladded with a black painted steel sheets finish.

Asked By Jin Kazama | Aug 28 14