GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Anyone have experience with Aeroseal duct sealing?

Patrick Mccombe | Posted in Mechanicals on

I’m considering developing a magazine article on Aeroseal duct sealing. This is a process where registers and diffusers are sealed with plastic and a vinyl based sealant is blown into the ducts. The sealant collects around leaks until they are ultimately closed off. The big advantage is it can seal ducts that are inaccessible for conventional sealing methods.

Here’s more:
http://www.aeroseal.com

Patrick McCombe
Fine Homebuilding Magazine

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. sulltikk | | #1

Hope this reply isn't too obvious. The 'This Old House Hour' TV program did a feature on a system like that (may have been the same) in last year or so. It was in the 2nd half-hour where they do the 3 short features.

2. GBA Editor
    Patrick Mccombe | | #2

Thanks Mark. They have many previously-run Ask This Old House shows on the their website. I'll look for it. It may even be on my DVR. There's at least a dozen I haven't seen on there.

3. DEnd2000 | | #3

Patrick, there is a link to the episode on aeroseal's website.

4. GBA Editor
    Patrick Mccombe | | #4

Thanks Donald. I just watched the episode. What I learned after my initial inquiry is that most duct systems are undersized, especially return ducts. The leakage is only part of the problem typically. When you seal the ducts you can starve the furnace for air.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |