GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How are mini-splits installed in new construction?

northern | Posted in Mechanicals on

How is a mini-split installed in new construction? Everything I’ve seen are installations in existing buildings where the line-set stub is shoved out through a hole in the wall, connected to a line-set, and the line-set run down the exterior of the wall. How is a line set roughed-in in a wall so that the inside wall unit can be connected after the interior wall finish is completed?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. davidmeiland | | #1

What I've done is to install a couple of flat blocks in the wall at the location of the indoor unit. They are 2x4 or 2x6 run horizontally, flush to the inside face of the framing. You lay out the locations of the line set and condensate drain, drill holes in the blocks, and run the lines through the holes. Ideally the outside unit is close by, so the lines can be run down and through studs to an exit point through the sheathing and siding. It's really no different than running range wire or PEX tubing in a wall. There is usually a mounting bracket that the indoor unit hangs on, with layout on it for the various lines.

2. northern | | #2

Thanks, David. That makes sense - blocking - but I don't understand how the line-set connections can be made. The tubing on the wall unit extend into the wall don't they. Obviously, I'm missing something!

3. davidmeiland | | #3

There are connections on the wall unit that are made after the unit is in place. There is no tubing pre-connected to it. Same thing outdoors.

4. jinmtvt | | #4

Roy : i guess that is someone is installing on an on-going construction building, they probably wait till everything is laid out before isntalling botht the interior and the line set ??
    Some units like Fujitsu , have rear spacing for the lines in order to be able to connect to the line sets
    at the rear of the units instead of inside the wall.

Otherwise if the lines go out straigth through the wall , the exterior "bent" and cover up could be let to be done after the interior unit is installed later on.

5. davidmeiland | | #5

Roy, backing up a bit, I *believe* you can order the indoor unit with or without pre-attached lines, and for new construction you would want it without. The lines are roughed into the wall along with everything else mechanical, and stick out of the walls until the indoor and outdoor components are connected as part of trim-out.

6. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #6

I do not like exposed heads! I like to design a built-in niche in a wall where a closet/laundry room/ bathroom is behind so you can create more room for the head. The opening is 3" wider and taller than the unit so it can be accessed and to allow free air flow though a painted and trimmed wire screen.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |