GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Water Heater selection help – Gas or Electric, Tank, Hybrid, Tankless?

[email protected] | Posted in Mechanicals on

I am in the process of needing to update my hot water tank (Currently a 40 Gallon gas water heater). I live in Michigan and have been trying to figure out what makes the most sense (Environmentally and economically). I am considering adding solar panels to my roof next year, so I was thinking of changing to electric but I have not found much information about electric tankless systems being used in Michigan other than I would need a large unit to provide for the entire house. I have 3 full sized bathrooms, a dishwasher a kitchen sink, laundry room sink and a wet bar sink. I have aerators and low flow shower heads. My plumber and electrician will install whatever I’d like, but are not helpful in providing sensible options.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Roger,
    There is no simple answer to this question. I suggest you read the following article, which includes a "decision tree" to help you through the water heater thicket:

The Water Heater Payoff

Another article that you might want to read on this issue is All About Water Heaters.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Roger,
    Here is the decision tree. Click on the image to enlarge it.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |