Water Heater selection help - Gas or Electric, Tank, Hybrid, Tankless?

I am in the process of needing to update my hot water tank (Currently a 40 Gallon gas water heater). I live in Michigan and have been trying to figure out what makes the most sense (Environmentally and economically). I am considering adding solar panels to my roof next year, so I was thinking of changing to electric but I have not found much information about electric tankless systems being used in Michigan other than I would need a large unit to provide for the entire house. I have 3 full sized bathrooms, a dishwasher a kitchen sink, laundry room sink and a wet bar sink. I have aerators and low flow shower heads. My plumber and electrician will install whatever I'd like, but are not helpful in providing sensible options.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Asked by Roger Ratkowski

1.

Roger,
There is no simple answer to this question. I suggest you read the following article, which includes a "decision tree" to help you through the water heater thicket:

The Water Heater Payoff

Another article that you might want to read on this issue is All About Water Heaters.

2.

Roger,
Here is the decision tree. Click on the image to enlarge it.

.

Water heater decision tree.jpg