Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions. The usual rules of courtesy apply: 1. Be nice. 2. If you can't be nice, be polite. 3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief. To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled "More explanation," look for the words "File attachments." Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo. Thanks for joining the conversation!

I am replacing my existing siding and I am doing the following -stud - 5/8" plywood - 1-1/2" of Polyisol, 3/8", WRB, rain screen, fiber cement siding. The house is in the San Francisco bay area on a hill with a stepped foundation.

Asked By Randy Mason | Aug 30 14

Wondering if the arctic wall design would be appropriate to use as a roof/cathedral ceiling here in CZ6 upstate NY. There is a comment about it on Martin's blog, but I didn't see any discussion : http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/how-build-insulat...

from inside out it would be:
GWB,
2x4 service cavity,
1/2" CDX taped and sealed,
parallel chord trusses 12-12 pitch dense packed with cellulose,
vapor open WRB (suggestions for best product welcome),
2x4 furring,
5/8 sheathing,
felt,
asphalt shingles.

Asked By Trevor Chadwick | Sep 1 14

Hi,
I am currently redoing the exterior of my house with a new vinyl siding and changing all windows. My house was built in the mid 80's and have 2x6 studs with Batt Insulation and mostly without a vapor barrier... but the insulation is not great, especially the air goes through the house.
My question is what is the best insulation for me to put outside the house underneath the vinyl siding. My windows will allow me to go up to 1 inches of exterior insulation.
So XPS with Typar? Polyisocyanurate (IKO Ener Air )? Others?

Asked By Jason Haché | Aug 29 14

I have a question about an effective way to solve an issue in a house with a large family room that has a painted T&G wood planked vaulted ceiling that leaks air and makes the house very cold in the winter.

Asked By Bruce Howe | Sep 1 14

Hi. I am back and forth on whether I should use XPS (blue board) or EPS for the insulation underneath my slab. I understand the qualities of each regarding water absorption and drying out, but would it (XPS particularly) affect the long term performance to the point where the slab is compromised? I also understand the pollution associated with XPS manufacturing. I have the option of purchasing 6" (house in very cold climate) of EPS (R-24) or 4" of XPS (R-20). The EPS is less expensive per inch, however, I need to pay for shipping which jacks up the price.

Asked By Matthew Michaud | May 2 14

Hi,

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel. My house was built in the late 60s and is located in climate zone 6 (Quebec). My question is about the damaged kraft paper that is supposed to act as a vapor barrier. From what I can see the wall assembly is (from the interior):

- Drywall
- Kraft paper
- Furring strips
- Some cardboard fiber and studs
- Probably batts insulation (I can't see behind the cardboard)
- Tar paper and exterior sheeting (brick)

Asked By Guillaume Dumont | Sep 1 14

We're building a new 2-story home in central Iowa. It will have a below grade basement with 9' foundation walls. The slab will be about 8 feet below grade.

Asked By Silas Hoeppner | Sep 1 14

I am finishing the exterior basement walls in my new home. My plan is adhere rigid to the foundation walls, after that I'll be putting down dricore subfloor, then studding up 2X4 walls on top of the dricore. There will be an air gap between the rigid and the 2X4's as I am laying in R-20 "2X6" batts. Plastic vapor barrier will complete the system before the drywall.

Asked By Mark McKenzie | Sep 1 14

I live in the Pacific north west, and will be building a home off the cost of Vancouver island this fall. The house is small, 700 square feet, with a 1 n 12 pitched roof as the design. We have not started construction on the house as yet and we want to deal with the roof in a way that will, of course, provide the best of all worlds.

Asked By Jeannette Sirois | Sep 1 14

I would like to decide on putting in solar panels to reduce energy costs.

I have read about the next generation solar panels not being to far off.

Question: Would it be better to install current solar panels or wait for the new type that will be coming shortly?

Asked By John Alberti | Aug 26 14