Helpful? 0

HRV ducting and condensate drain

Some HRV manufacturers claim that the units can be installed in a closet. But not all closets have drains for condensate.

Do all HRV or ERV units require drains? My climate only falls below 18 -20 deg C for maybe 2 days/year. I would like to put my unit in a closet, but there is no drain nearby. If a drain is absolutely required for either HRV or ERV, then i would have to relocate it.

I have noticed that some people use PVC ducting. Could aluminum flex duct that is pulled tightly also be used (the thick stuff)?

Asked by cory b
Posted Thu, 04/24/2014 - 19:19
Edited Fri, 04/25/2014 - 07:33

Tags:

2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

The Panasonic ERV requires no condensate drain as far as I can tell. But it doesn't use interior ductwork so it wouldn't make sense to install it in a closet anyway.

Answered by Nick Welch
Posted Thu, 04/24/2014 - 19:48

Helpful? 0

Cory,
In general, HRVs are more likely to require condensate drains than ERVs, but there are exceptions. Contact the manufacturer of the unit you are considering and ask whether the unit requires a condensate drain.

Most installation manuals are now available on the web, so you should be able to find the information with a little web surfing.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Fri, 04/25/2014 - 07:31

Other Questions in Mechanicals

In General questions | Asked by Jeannette Sirois | Sep 1, 14
In Green building techniques | Asked by jordan Saunders | Sep 1, 14
In General questions | Asked by Steve Young | Aug 16, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jason Haché | Aug 29, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Matthew Michaud | May 2, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!