HRV ducting and condensate drain

Some HRV manufacturers claim that the units can be installed in a closet. But not all closets have drains for condensate.

Do all HRV or ERV units require drains? My climate only falls below 18 -20 deg C for maybe 2 days/year. I would like to put my unit in a closet, but there is no drain nearby. If a drain is absolutely required for either HRV or ERV, then i would have to relocate it.

I have noticed that some people use PVC ducting. Could aluminum flex duct that is pulled tightly also be used (the thick stuff)?

Asked by cory b
Edited Fri, 04/25/2014 - 07:33

1.

The Panasonic ERV requires no condensate drain as far as I can tell. But it doesn't use interior ductwork so it wouldn't make sense to install it in a closet anyway.

Answered by Nick Welch

2.

Cory,
In general, HRVs are more likely to require condensate drains than ERVs, but there are exceptions. Contact the manufacturer of the unit you are considering and ask whether the unit requires a condensate drain.

Most installation manuals are now available on the web, so you should be able to find the information with a little web surfing.