Innie/Outie Operation

I am familiar with much of the conversation regarding thermal performance as it relates to innie/outie windows (http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/innie-windows-or-...). My concern here relates more specifically to operation of innie/outie windows as well as "middies".

My concern is as follows:

It seems that "conventional" windows on regular houses are either double-hungs, sliders, single hungs, casements, or awnings, all of which swing outward or slide in one plane.

Asked By Ethan T ; Climate Zone 5A ; ~6000HDD | Feb 20 18

Cold climate basement insulation and code questions

I live in SE Wisconsin (Climate Zone 6) in a 1930s house that has a currently unfinished cinder block basement with a concrete slab floor. The basement is unconditioned but stays at or above 55 degrees in the dead of winter. Basement walls are 95% below grade, and there are some small windows at the top of the walls. The house is heated with hot water radiant heat but there are no radiators or other heat / HVAC sources in basement.

Asked By Navigator16171 | Feb 19 18

Advice on trimming out exterior light fixture where pancake box sticks out too far?

Hi guys,

I have a few exterior light fixtures I need to install but the existing pancake boxes are sticking out over an 1" from the siding.

I attached a few photos I found online that are identical to my situation.

The pancake box is installed in the wall so it cannot be removed.

What would you guys recommend I do here? Are there are deep trim boxes I can mount over the pancake box to water seal it? And then install the light fixture?

Or do I need to custom make one out of a wood block?

Any ideas you guys have would be great.

Asked By MichaelBa | Feb 18 18

Mitsubishi minisplit secret advanced settings

This is more an invitation to share than a question per se. I recently installed a two-zone Mitsubishi minisplit system in our home. One of the two indoor units is ducted and its blower continued to run even after the temperature set point had been reached. I understand this is normal operation for these units (and maybe for all/most minisplits?). I also realize there is a reasonable to case to be made to run the fan continuously even when heat/coolth is not being provided. However, I didn't want the fan when the heat/cooling is not on.

Asked By Chris Stratton | Feb 20 18

Casement windows?

I'm looking for highly efficient triple glazed windows with a high solar heat gain coefficient for use on the south side of a new construction home in Massachusetts (Climate Zone 5). I like Schuco windows, however, I am looking to compare with a window that performs similarly but doesn't open into the living space. Any suggestions?

Asked By Leslie Whelan | Feb 26 17

Should I run my water in air source heat pump mode during the heating season?

My husband and I live in Minnesota (Zone 4) and have a small SIP house heated primarily with a Fujitsu Mini Split. Our water heater is a GE Geospring air source heat pump water heater.

I was wondering whether it is most efficient to run the hot water during the Winter months as a straight electric resistance heater, or to continue to running it in heat pump mode.

Asked By mikaturner | Feb 20 18

Fiberglass window choices for new build in Colorado

Hi everyone,

We are building a new home in Colorado, 7100 ft, south facing, energy efficient, single story. That is the short story. We are only considering fiberglass windows. The choices are Alpen 525, Marvin Integrity, Miguard Ultra and new to list Kolbe Forgent. In terms of energy efficiency: U, SHGC, VT the best is Alpen, made just outside of Denver, but no local vendor. The rest have local vendors for support.

Asked By LYDIA SEGAL | Feb 19 18

Maximizing thermal mass in passive solar high desert home

Hello -

My partner and I are building a small (600 sq ft) house in climate zone 5B (NM/CO border). When we lived in Colorado, we had friends who built commercial passive solar greenhouses using south-facing glazing and water tanks for thermal mass. Using their formula, we calculated that we would need approximately 1500 gallons of water to meet their design specs for a self regulating high desert (7k ft elevation) house of this size.

Asked By Zane Bridgers | Feb 19 18

Insulating exterior electrical box from inside

In my laundry room wall is the electrical box for one of my exterior lights. That wall cavity is open and I would like to insulate it from the inside. Getting it from the outside is difficult for me because of obstacles.

Asked By JakeNY | Feb 20 18

Insulation upgrades

Hi Everyone.

Thank you in advance for your feedback, you have all been so helpful.

Zone 5A (coastal Mass) house.

I have an older 3200 sq ft home with a mix of well-pointed fieldstone foundation and poured concrete. The 1000 sq ft attic is currently air-sealed in most places, and has a mix of fiberglass batts and cellulose for about R-30. I have 10 recessed lights in attic, which have the LED airtight retrofits with gaskets, but are not covered in cellulose. The recessed fixtures are IC-rated. The remainder of the home has vented cathedral ceilings (sigh).

Asked By Justin Brown | Jan 22 18