Cellulose over 1/2" drywall and 24" o.c. furring strips

Hi,

Asked By Marc Delisle | Aug 26 16

Insulating above a garage roof

Location: Western NC, zone 4, mixed humid
Elevation 2000 ft
Roof: slope 2:12, standing seam.
Attic: formed with trusses and unvented
House roof insulation: Polyiso nailbase R15 min above the deck, netted BIBs below.

Asked By Jeremy Turner | Jun 30 16

Water between the bottom of the window and rough opening?

Building a home in zone 4A and we done with framing and setting the windows and house wrap. The windows have been flashed and the house wrap is taped to the window on all 4 sides.

This morning, the builder needed to take a window out, and when he did he noticed a lot of water under the window between the window and the rough opening. He said it was a lot of water.

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Aug 25 16

Is there a way to seal VOCs?

We had our front stained. The company used DuraSeal stain. I know it isn't the most ecofriendly, but since it was exterior door we agreed because they said it was very durable. Well, they spilled the stain all over the subfloor and brand new drywall on the interior of the house. I am freaking out a little bit since we have a chemically sensitive child. We are installing hardwood floors (which will not create an air seal). I plan to have them pay to replace the drywall that is soiled. However, I don't know what to do about the subfloor. Is there a way to seal in the chemicals and VOCs?

Asked By Carolyn Farrow | Aug 25 16

What to do about stairs and doors during basement energy retrofit?

Good evening,

Asked By adam stanton | Aug 24 16

Two condensation questions

I have a newly foamed attic with open-cell foam (average 8 inches or so with rafters covered) and a brand new AC unit with furnace. I had thought that lowering the temperature of the attic would take away the need for insulation on the condensate drain line, but it is still sweating. The upstairs temperature is in the 75 degree range in the Attic is in the 81 degree range, but the Attic humidity has gone from being in the thirties or forties when it was a vented attic to being about 70% now, so I guess the dew point is still high enough to necessitate insulating the drain line.

Asked By John Sexton | Aug 7 16

Ice damming — Low-slope roof — Resolvable or hopeless?

[ SUMMARY ]

I own an older home in Ontario Canada that may have been built between the 1920s to 1950s. It originally had knob & tube wiring.

Each winter I have to deal with ice damming along 2 sides of the roof, no where else. The areas in question are a Low-Slope roof (3/12 pitch, east & west side of the ridge) and a Cathedral style roof (8/12 pitch -- inside the home there is a sloping ceiling that is covered by drywall). See a photo of the home: http://imgur.com/sXUzfzG.

Asked By Jake Rabe | Aug 19 16

Adding a soffit overhang to gables of an attached 4-season room

I'm currently having the roof of my attached 4-season room replaced. The roof leaked in heavy rain and there was a measly 1" of XPS on the inside of the roof. The new roof will have 6" of polyiso on top of the timber frame rafters.

Asked By William Sherman | Aug 25 16

Help me understand static pressure in ducted minisplit systems

Hi all,

Tried to piggyback a comment on this thread (http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/comment/reply/55726), but I guess the thread is too old and my comment was marked as spam.

I am planning a ducted mini split for the 2nd floor of our home. I have run manual J calculations and find that a Fujitsu 9RLFCD will fit the heat/cool load, assuming I can distribute the BTUs to all the rooms.

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Aug 16 16

Solar hot air preheat for HRV/ERV

Has anyone seen a successful approach to using a solar hot air collector to preheat the intake air for an HRV / ERV?

It would be fairly simple to bypass the collector when preheat wasn't desirable.

One major concern is regulating temperature so excessive heat doesn't compromise the HRV / ERV.

It seems like it could be an ideal way to temper incoming air on cold, clear Colorado days (climate zone 6B), and get a little extra solar gain.

Asked By Pat Kiernan | Aug 17 16