GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Brands of HRV?

STEPHEN SHEEHY | Posted in Mechanicals on

Anyone have any experience with either Lifebreath or Imperial HRVs? My architect specified Zehnder, but my HVAC guy has installed Lifebreath and Imperial, but not Zehnder.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. charlie_sullivan | | #1

I think I saw a complaint that Lifebreath was not as quiet as others, but they do have an option for an ECM motor which has very low electric consumption, like Zehnder. I'm not familiar with Imperial. Zehnder is expensive but very quiet, very high performance, etc.

2. Richard Beyer | | #2

I have nothing to report on the subject models. I installed the Venmar HEPA HRV 3100 in my home. Very pleased with it's performance. I did have to replace the motor after 3 years of constant operation and not because the motor failed. The plastic impeller attached to the motor became distorted and started rubbing on the HRV housing. This unit is very quiet.

3. dickrussell | | #3

I have the Lifebreath 195ECM at my house, 3.5 years in service. It runs 24/7, quietly, although back in the utility space on the lower level. In low speed mode (normal), I barerly hear it. When the bath exhaust timers are turned on, to boost speed to maximum for 20 minutes, then I hear it if I am in the utility space. There have been no problems with the unit. I have removed the two heat exchanger cores once for cleaning (not very fouled at all).

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |