GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Ducted and ductless heads on a zoned mini-split

arizonaauditor | Posted in Mechanicals on

I performed an energy audit for a homeowner who is interested in a zoned mini-split system.

My question is whether a ducted indoor unit can be used in, say, a master bedroom suite, while a ductless indoor unit can be used in a different zone but with the same outdoor unit; or do all zones have to use the same type of indoor unit — all wall mounts, all floor mounts, all ceiling insert, etc.?

My second question is whether different zones can use different-btu/h indoor units (e.g., small family room gets a smaller indoor unit than a large living room, etc.).

As always, thanks in advance for your insight.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Dana1 | | #1

Most multi-zone compressors will accomodate mini-duct cassettes as well as wall-coil heads, with a mix of sizes.

As an example, the 2-zone Mitsubishi here lists the compatible heads/cassette that will work with the compressor unit, which includes both ducted & ductless units of varying sizes, as well a ceiling cassettes, etc.:

http://usa.mylinkdrive.com/categories/3/product_types/5/series/42/models/65/products/show/681.html

Fujitsu & Daikin have similar 2-zone systems with similar head/cassette compatibility listings.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |