GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How efficient are horizontal axis washing machines? Really?

Starbright Steve | Posted in Mechanicals on

Since 2002 I have had 2 different high efficiency washing machines. The first failed within warranty and was repaired for free and at 7 years of age failed catastrophically. I got a new one and now it needs repair. These are high tech machines and I can’t fix them myself. I am considering buying an old fashioned “new” , belt drive, mechanical timer, commercial, Maytag.
About my situation; I live in northern PA and get my water from an artesian well that overflows at 4 gallons per minute. My wife and I are retired and do 5 loads of laundry a week. Our water is heated by the sun and we have a 5KW pv array. We hang laundry to dry outside for 6-7 months a year. The Maytag I might buy is one I can fix myself and possibly using used parts or at least cheap parts. No printed circuit boards!
How efficient is it to buy a new high speed unit every 8 to 10 years and spend $200-$300 doing repairs during those years? I know the Maytag will use more electricity but at 5 loads a week is this an issue? Am I missing something? I already know it’s not COOL to use an old Maytag.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. charlie_sullivan | | #1

You aren't missing anything. The main advantage of the horizontal axis is a reduction in water use, and thus an energy savings because most Americans unnecessarily use hot water. And for the many who live in deserts, and others who pay high water rates for other reasons, that water savings is worthwhile regardless of whether or not it is heated. For your case none of the above apply.

On the other hand, my 13 year old basic Kenmore horizontal axis washer has never needed a repair. My one data point doesn't agree with your two. So perhaps we need more data before drawing too many conclusions about relative reliability.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Steven,
    Here is a link to an article on washing machine efficiency: All About Washing Machines.

I have a simple Maytag with a rotating knob control -- no printed circuit board.

3. iLikeDirt | | #3

I'm with Martin, and my washing machine is the same kind as his. Everyone I know who's had a horizontal axis washing machine has had to have it professionally repaired or replaced at least once a decade, frequently more often than that. I also know a ton of people with vertical axis washers that are 30 years old or older. It's just one anecdote, but I suspect most people can share similar ones. It's always good to be wary of complicated electronic gadgets, especially ones that interact with water. It's just a bad combination. Is it really green to save water but have to pay more up front, replace the machine 2 or 3 times as often, and be dependent on professional service techs?

My solution to the problem of having a high water use washing machine in the desert has been to hook up the drain to my graywater system, so not a drop of it is wasted.

4. user-4310370 | | #4

I discussed this issue with a repairman, said I was buying a new washer, he said the number one thing people should do but don't is plug the washer and dryer in through a surge protector. You do it with computers and other electronic equipment but people don't think about the washer, dryer, refrigerator and everything else that now has sensitive electronics. Still crossing my fingers after 6 years with a horizontal machine.

5. charlie_sullivan | | #5

I don't want to read too much into this, but my long-lasting horizontal axis machine is controlled by a mechanical timer. It is hard to avoid the conclusion that the reliability has more to do with electronics than axis of rotation.

6. PAUL KUENN | | #6

Just have to add our 15 year old Fisher Pakel has never had a problem and it is used 4-5 times a week. Love it. Of course, in time almost all companies screw up a great product...

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |