GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Mini-split primer – how best to operate

stk | Posted in Mechanicals on

I just got a Mitsubishi MSZ/MUZ GE 15 unit installed. My house is in Seattle, 1-floor (rambler) 1500 SF with all doors kept open. I want to get smart on how best to operate the unit for efficiency and comfort. Normally keep house at 70 degrees in day and I understand that you don’t want to set back the mini-split at night. Do I just leave it at 70 degrees?

The unit seems to be working well…I used a recent discussion on these boards to locate the unit 1 foot below the ceiling (thanks Dana Dorsett) and it looks to be working continuously and not cycling.

I’ll apologize in advance that I don’t fully understand all the technical details that typically accompany a mini-split discussion. Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

Yes- set it and forget it, let it modulate up & down with the load. At Seattle's average winter temps it'll have very good efficiency if modulating. If keeping it at 70F in the main areas makes the bedrooms too warm for sleeping you can adjust the temp in the bedrooms downward by keeping the doors closed part of the time, but on sub-freezing nights you'll probably want to keep the bedroom doors open.

Most reasonably tight 1500' houses would have a whole-house load a bit lower than that at Seattle's mid-20sF outside design temps, let's call it 15,000 BTU/hr @ 25F outside, 70F inside, a temperature difference of 45F. That's then 15000/45= 333 BTU/hr per degree-F below 70F. The GE15 is good for about 16,000 BTU/hr @ +17F, and can modulate down to about 5000 BTU/hr @ +47F. A 47F the load would be about (70F - 47F) x 333= 7659 BTU/hr, which is still above the minimum output of the unit- it'll still have some modulating room to work with even during shoulder-season temperatures.

Assuming that truly is your approximate design load, the GE15 is right sized for your house, and should give you decent modulating performance for almost the entire heating season, and you're as-used efficiency will meet or even slightly beat the nameplate HSPF 10.0 (COP= 2.9).

https://www.goductless.com/hvac/pdf/mitsubishi/mitsubishi27-sb.pdf

2. stk | | #2

Thanks for your insight, Dana. I will set it and forget it. I had an energy audit done that included (I'm told) a Manual J of about 39K BTUs/hr. I am hoping the Mitsubishi will cover me on days when we are in the low-30sF or higher. To be honest, the cost of these units has kept me on the sidelines, but I was able to find a package price that included the MSZ/MUZ unit. I wanted an FENA unit, but I was getting sick of waiting and jumped in. This is in lieu of a gas furnace replacement, so maybe a little victory on that front. I will keep the current furnace as a backup and maybe tear it out in a couple of years, when I get a track record with the mini split. Thanks again!

3. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #3

A heat load of 39,000 BTU/hr @ 25F for a 1500' house would be basically an uninsulated house with single pane windows. Is that your house?

As a point of reference, that's about the same load of my sub-code 1920s 2400' house + 1500' of insulated conditioned basement at 0F.

That's about 25 BTU/hr per square foot of conditioned space, which would be a typical heat load ratio of code-min construction in Fairbanks AK at an outside design temp of about -50F.

If your house is really that leaky and uninsulated, it's definitely worth fixing up the house. A tight 2x4/R11 house with clear glass double panes (not low-E) and R25 in the attic would come in at about 10 BTU/ft @ 25F with an insulated basement or insulated floor, maybe a bit more if it's an uninsulated vented crawl space, but not 25 BTU/ft-hr.

With your ZIP code, a wintertime gas bill with the fuel use and the EXACT meter reading dates and the input BTUs and DOE output BTUs of your gas furnace, it's possible to determine an upper bound on the actual whole-house load.

4. stk | | #4

Nov 12 2015 - Dec 13 2015 - 128.736 therms
    Zip 98133
    90K BTU gas furnace, 80% efficient, downflow
    Return duct in unconditioned attic, duct uninsulated, joints sealed w/mastic
    Supply ducts wrapped w/insulation but joints unsealed
    Underfloor fiberglass insulation between joists, but improperly installed w/dead space between insulation and underside of floor

5. wjrobinson | | #5

S K, Joe L. says at building science that airspace is correct as to floor insulations. It's all about proper perimeter insulation etc.

6. stk | | #6

Forgot to mention that exterior walls are uninsulated 2X6 w/thick cedar lap siding. Double-paned vinyl windows.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |