GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

They didn’t completely hook the cold air return on my furnace. Is that OK? What could happen?

rogerii38 | Posted in Mechanicals on

can just using indoor instead of fresh outside air cause any problems?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. davidmeiland | | #1

Your question is not clear. Are you saying that the return side of your system is supposed to have an outside air connection for fresh air, and it doesn't?

If that's the case, then the answer is "it might be OK, and it depends". Around here, I often see forced air systems that have an outside air duct connected to the return side, usually with a motorized damper or gravity damper that opens when the blower is on. These are installed without any knowledge of whether the house is tight or not, and IMO a lot of the time the house is already over-ventilated just by being drafty.

2. user-4310370 | | #2

A picture would be worth a thousand words here.

It sounds to me more like you have a high efficiency furnace and they vented it to the outside but left the combustion air inlet without a pipe to the exterior which could be perfectly fine.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Roger,
    We need a better description of your situation to help you with your questions.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |