GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Do I have an issue?

user-2310254 | Posted in Mechanicals on

The weather is my part of Zone 3 is still pretty hot (90s during the day with a cooling trend into the upper 80s). I noticed that my two year old air-source heat pump is struggling a bit to keep things comfortable. The thermostat upstairs is set for 77 degrees but the temperature is hovering around 81.

I also observed some wetness under my outdoor unit as well as some similar signs of water in the pan under the air handler. What do you guys think? Am I low on refrigerant? What might cause that?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

Well, I have a call into the AC guy. Maybe I'll luck out and it will turn out to be just a capacitor. I seem to recall having this type of issue with a unit at my previous home.

2. user-2310254 | | #2

Just as an FYI for future readers. It appears my problem was being caused by a stuck relay. Switching the upstairs zone from auto to cool seemed to resolve the issue by forcing the relay back into the correct position.

3. charlie_sullivan | | #3

I'm glad it turned out to be something easy. Sorry you didn't get any responses in time to be useful.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |