Polyurethane foam vs. Icynene foam: What's best for subfloor insulation?

I have a house that is brick veneer and the front section has the polished timber floors.
The sub floor area was not properly ventilated and we had some mould issues. Since then we have had vent’s installed and a sub floor fan under one of the rooms.
However it is a clay soil that the house is suspended on, there are still a some mould spurs on the soil. The air under one room is always quiet damp.

I was wondering if product is more suitable for this type of application ….does notabsorb the moisture in the air and will mould grow on it ??

Asked By Rheems I | Jul 25 16

Fiberglass batting in a cathedral ceiling??

Hi Martin,
I've been reading the GBA web site and have subscribed to the Fine Homebuilding magazine for several years but this is my first venture into the "green expert" arena. I could ask much but will try to narrow my questions to the two below.
My wife and I are building a small, hopefully energy efficient week-end/retirement home located approximately 50 miles east of Erie PA. Though the maps indicate Zone 5, having grown up there and experienced the winter lake effects, I'm considering it Zone 6.

Asked By Michael Watson | Jul 26 16

1903 home, first time with central air, lots of questions about insulating, ductwork, etc

Hello! Grab a cup of coffee and hopefully you will have a little insight on this! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an early 1900s 2 story victorian home 2200 sq ft, currently getting a new roof next month, and had to remove the old insulation on the attic floor that was outdated in roof preparation (in april). Blown in insulation was added to all exterior walls, as well as a thin sheet of foam fiberglass insulation, prior to installing vinyl siding over the wood siding about 25 years ago. Also storm windows to cover the old windows.

Asked By John Friend | Jul 25 16

Questioning my logic...GSHP, ASHP, radiant?

I'm in the planning/almost ready to break ground stage of a new home and I'm beginning to question my sanity when it comes to figuring out the right approach for heating & cooling.

The home is:
North end of Climate Zone 5
Main Floor: 1700 sq ft + 1000 sq ft garage, vaulted ceilings through much of it
2nd Floor: 1100 sq ft (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room) primarily over the garage
Basement: 1700 sq ft, partial walkout + 1000 sq ft shop under the garage (separated from the rest of the basement)

Walls: R30+ (2x6, 2" XPS outside, 2lb SPF for sealing + 1/2lb SPF for cavity fill)

Asked By Dave De C | Jul 16 16

How should I heat my water?

Hi there. I'm just starting a major renovation of a two story studio space attached to our detached garage to be used as a studio and sometimes guest house. We're adding water and septic to the house, and I'm looking for ideas on the best way to get hot water. We'll only have a single bathroom with shower, and a small wet bar sink on the same wall as the bathroom, so there are no long pipe runs. Usage will be infrequent but once in a while fairly aggressive if we have guests there who need to take multiple back-to-back showers.

Asked By Curtis M | Jul 17 16

Exterior walls to meet code without gypsum?

Maybe this has been discussed here. Feel free to link me to other threads that I haven't seen if this is fully covered elsewhere.

I'm not a fan of drywall. A quick rundown with no real surprises: it used to be cheaper; now it's not. It also takes plenty of work and more money to make it look nice. It's heavy but also very breakable. Even when you don't break it, it's messy. Etc, etc. I *am* a fan of 3/4 plywood, which is less breakable, more durable, and looks nice.

Asked By Minneapolis Disaster, 6B | Jul 22 16

Bowed gable-end truss

Today we got 18/19 trusses set and somewhat braced, more to go on bracing.

The problem we ran into is that the gable and would meet the wall in the middle, but both ends were off the walls. The walls are straight and flat.

I pulled the gable down and snapped a chalk line along the bottom of the bottom chord, and found that the center was lower than the ends by a good 3/4".

Having never set a pre-buiilt gable truss, I would think that it would be nearly impossible to load the top chord enough during installation to push the bow out.

Asked By Mike M | Jul 24 16

Why haven't steel-framed homes become more popular?

I am in the planning phase of building a home in the NJ-NY area, Climate zone 5. As I investigate my options; SIPS, double wall stick 2x4 wood, 2x6 wood, ICFs, CMU, Larsen trusses, etc.. and the myriad of permutations to insulate each one (spray foam, cellulose, hybrid batt & flash, exterior rigid foam/iso panels, etc....) I came across STEEL. My goal is as high R-value as I can get within reason $$, with hope of upwards of R-30 final values. That said, I need some objective input.

Asked By Sal Lombardo | Dec 27 12

Blown-in insulation for existing walls

My circa 1900 house in West Virginia (Zone 5) has hardwood paneling throughout the interior and wood siding on the exterior with no insulation in-between the actual 2x4 walls. I'm pondering either blow-in cellulose or open cell spray polyurethane foam applied through holes in the siding. (Should I consider other options?) Both open-cell SPF and cellulose show an R-value of 3.2 to 3.8/inch. I understand the cellulose will settle over time leaving some gap at the top and foam will not. I like the idea of an air barrier provided by SPF between the leaky wood interior and exterior surfaces.

Asked By Andy Kerr | Jul 25 16

Air space required for GE Geospring hybrid electric heat-pump water heater?

I'm interested in going to a heat pump water heater and looking at the GEH50DFEJSR geospring model. I see in the manual it says it needs a 10×10x7 room or louvre door or duct kit. I'm curious if a vented pass thru to a larger room works the same? Kinda like a cold air return. The room is 8x5.5x8 and would rather not put a louvre door up. Any recommendations? Anything else I should know before purchase?

Thanks so much!

Asked By Stephen Audretch | Jul 24 16