Insulation questions on a gut rehab

Hi all,

I'd like to comment on the usefulness of the website while conducting my research during our gut-rehab;we have been reading a ton of information about best practices during construction and what we should and should not do.

Some facts about the house:

Tri-level brick home in Chicago

2x4 walls

2x6 roof rafters

roof pitch is 4:12

Forced air HVAC

Roof is 5 years old, one layer of asphalt shingles

Home built in 1965

Some facts about the project:

Asked By tkaj | Mar 28 17

Low-slope "warm" roof build-up clarification

Hello
We are advancing on the planning stages of a new build project in climate 4C (near Vancouver, Canada). Thanks to the many articles and Q&As on this site I've got myself comfortable with most outstanding issues we are facing in developing our roof and wall build ups. This is a small building used as a holiday home, not fully occupied in Winter.
With that in mind any feedback from your good selves would be appreciated.
The roof is a mono pitch (shed style) front to back at just 1:12 with no "rafter" space to hold insulation
Build up:
- Exposed 3X8 Douglas fir beams

Asked By Quinn Sievewright | Mar 26 17

ERV selection

I've been reading, reading and reading about the various ERV options. Once I think I've narrowed it down, I read a new article or a new model has be released. What is the latest thoughts on the ERV market ranking them from best and also value?

Asked By Seth Holmen | Mar 26 17

EPS foam density for use under concrete slabs and around stem wall

Hi everyone,

I'm right at the point where I need to purchase some EPS foam for our slab foundation / stem wall on a residential net zero project. I've read and posted on the project in the past and there seems to be a consensus that Type II EPS foam should be fine from a compressive strength perspective in both applications.

Asked By Joshua Greisen | Mar 27 17

To vapor barrier or not to vapor barrier?

Hi all,

Pardon my ignorance or lack of proper nomenclature, but have a question regarding vapor barrier/retarder (I know they are not one and the same) and insulation.

Asked By jibba1 | Mar 28 17

Duct Insulation Sleeves - Black PP or Reflective Foil?

Right out of the gate, I am NOT talking about foil faced bubble wrap duct insulation. This question is specifically in regards to FIBERGALSS INSULATED DUCT SLEEVES. :-)

I see generally two types of fiberglass insulated duct sleeves available; those with some sort of plastic covering and those with a reflective foil type covering.

I would assume the foil covered types might be intended for use in an unconditioned attic with high summer temperatures? But my question applies to using these products within the conditioned space.

An example of both products can be seen here:

Asked By Lance Peters | Mar 27 17

Critique this rough floorplan

We are in beginning stages of choosing an architect/project manager, but we have some wishes on how we want the floor plan to be.

Being amateurs, I'm sure there are mistakes. Please critique.

Our goals, wants and needs:

- make the house as small as possible, ut with enough room for everything we need/want
For example, we want a study, though that is not common practice here. We took that good practice from USA and like it a lot.

Asked By davor radman | Mar 28 17

Building a new house, looking for opinion on insulation/exterior foam combinations

I am currently in the process of designing a new home. I built one four years ago that we have decided is too big and inefficient for what we need. This time around I am looking to build small, simple and efficient. The house will most likely be framed with 2x6 walls, however I would like to maximize R value of that wall.

Asked By user-6801629 | Mar 23 17

How to vent an attic that has no eave?

In an older building. The problem is ice dams more so than energy cost reduction. The roof design is more complicated than I can explain easily here.

I am considering using these vents. however they look designed for new not retrofit construction. Any experience with this type of vent.

https://www.metalera.com/Hi-Perf/Products/Hi-Perf_Intake_Vent.aspx

Wally
thanks in advance

Asked By Walt Ott | Mar 27 17

Slab on grade retrofit - Climate Zone 3C

Hello all,

Asked By ELLE55 | Mar 28 17