Insulation with best life expectancy and low embodied energy?

I'm researching insulation options. I want to keep embodied energy down, but also want to have something with a life expectancy of centuries, not decades. Although I've mostly nixed SIPs (PU) because of it's high embodied energy, if it lasts centuries while other insulation materials last decades, then should it be considered? I've also been finding different opinions on the life expectancy of SIPs. Some people say 300 years, others say 50-100.

Asked By Mike AbiEzzi | Jan 19 18

Insulating a walkout basment

I'm trying to insulate my walkout basement in Chicago so Zone 5. I read through bunch of the posts but just need some clarification if what I have gathered is correct. I'm attaching a diagram to show exactly what my plan is but just need to figure out if the section above foundation/ground will have any issues with this setup.

Thanks

Asked By tkaj | Jan 19 18

I’m interested in disconnecting from the grid

Our house is tight. One of my big winter loads is the clothes dryer. I am getting questionable reviews on heat pump dryers. Should we just “freeze dry “ laundry on the porch. Are there any options?

We had poor reliability with two different horizontal axis washers and now have a Maytag. It spins but not like a horiz. axis.

Thanks.
Steve in Wellsboro

Asked By Steven McCarthy | Jan 18 18

Insulation for interior walls

We are in the process of building a “pretty good house” in Manitoba Canada. D.P. Cellulose insulated 12” thick walls, triple pane windows, no gas appliances. Also working hard to limit noise transfer between bedrooms. We have decoupled walls with staggered studs, and framed them either 4”
Or 4.5” wide (bottom plates) with 2x4 studs.

Asked By Scott Benson Climate Zone 7A | Jan 18 18

Perfect Wall assembly

Hello All,

I'm building a small cabin in the mountains of North Carolina later this year (Beech Mountain). Elevation is at about 5,000 feet and the climate can actually be pretty brutal for the southeast in the winter (Zone 5 Climate). Average January high is around 35 and low around 15, but temps can get 10 to 20 below zero on occasion.

I'm planning on building an envelope based on Joe Lstiburek's "Perfect Wall" theory.

My wall will be constructed as follows (from exterior to interior):
- HardiPlank or Galvalume Siding (haven't decided yet) for exterior cladding

Asked By Rodrob15 | Jan 18 18

Basement Insulation question

Hi,

I am planning to finish my basement and need help with what materials I should use.
I live in Ohio (5A as per map). I have concrete walls with 8 ft ceiling.

I have been reading a lot and not sure what I should be using. I need good comfortable basement. I was reading best to use XPS but now after reading more I see it is not a green option. I also read there are few new products coming out with HFO blowing agents (where to buy them from or they are not available yet ?) I also looked at roxul comfortboard 80. Please advice.

Asked By bullet0770 | Jan 17 18

Another try at a ceiling service cavity framing

I now want the duct ed mini split IDU(s) and ducts within the ceiling therefore what I thought was an economical construction (lattice of flat wise 2x4s) really is not, especially if I'm to have code acceptable ducts. I simply need a taller cavity, 3" isn't enough, 6" is probably minimum. My latest thought is to use a variation of a Larsen truss (2x2 chords and OSB strips on alternating sides forming the "web") installed horizontally. The "Larsen's" top chord is fastened through the upper air barrier material (probably drywall) with screws into the bottom chords of the roof trusses.

Asked By Jerry Liebler | Jan 15 18

What issues do you see here?

Hi there,

Im building a cost effective shouse in northern British Columbia, living in Zone 7A with 5040 degree-days (no rainscreen or seismic requirements) and planning on building a workshop with dwelling above in the summer.

I need some experienced folks help who have livedin or built similar shops with dwellings to tell me what you would change. I plan on installing a 1.5" concrete topcoat in the suite. Both floors to have hydronic heat. Windows are triple with R8.3 ratings, U 1.02.

Asked By User-6964558 | Jan 18 18

Wood stove backdraft

Hi all,

Asked By Randy Williams | Jan 19 18

Bathroom remodel, question on wall construction and shower area

Hello All,

I am currently remodeling a bathroom and need to replace my fiber glass tub and shower surround, i will be replacing it with another fiberglass/acrylic solid surface material but really had the question on how to properly build the walls in the shower area?

I will have a 2' section above and around the the shower and wasnt sure the best way or materials to do this, do i drywall with a moisture resistant product, what about vapor barrier, and air sealing?

Thanks the help and im sure there is more info needed but thought i would start here?

Thank you again

Asked By David B | Jan 18 18