Accessing a concealed duct unit

My HVAC contractor will be installing a Fujitsu 9RLFCD and a 12RLFCD. Each of the slim duct units will share space in closets and hang vertically. I don't have a utility room for them to be exposed in.
Now I need an idea on how to conceal the slim ducts but still make them accessible.
Do they need ready access like a breaker panel or can all the seasonal coats be hung in front of them? Are there pre-made access panels for sale?
What is a "good practice" for finishing these off? Any pictures?
Thanks.

Asked By Mark Walker | Jul 22 17

Foil faced rigid insulation

I am in mixed-humid (Zone 3A).

I plan to use foil faced roof sheathing in my vented attic as a radiant barrier and was wondering about the efficacy of foil faced rigid insulation on my exterior walls facing the air gap to the siding (brick, stone and plank). Given my climate, any wall moisture will typically dry to the interior, so it would seem the reduced permeability of the foil facing would not be an issue.

From inside out:
• Latex paint
• Drywall

Asked By pnjfksx | Jul 22 17

Naive question on LEED certification

Hi GBA,

Asked By Brian Gray | Jul 21 17

Insulation question and new construction.... thoughts?

New construction, we are doing a non-vented attic to keep our HVAC ductwork in a conditioned space with foam on the roof deck. Come to find out, we can put foam in all the walls vs using bibs for the same price which surprised me. This will make for a tight house and this brings the question in my mind "what type of mechanical ventilation"? House needs to breath and have a good exchange of air.

House is a 2 story and about 2700 sq ft. 2 HVAC units will be installed. Biggest concern is a good ventilation system..

Asked By Thomas Roberts | Jul 20 17

Energy efficient dryer vent

I was looking for a suggestion on a through-wall dryer vent for 8" thick wall that's energy efficient?

Asked By Michael Brackett | Jul 22 17

1870s rowhouse rehab energy efficiency - radiators and radiant heat?

I'm looking for feedback on heating and cooling (and energy efficiency) for a large, three story brick, italianate 1870's row house (with low-sloping flat roof) - it's attached to the neighboring brick house on the south, with a few feet between houses with the neighbor to the north). This is a big (4000 sq. ft), brick, main street structure with massive walls and many average sized (15' x 15') rooms that can't be opened-up too much because of the existing structure.

Asked By humbleadobe | Jul 21 17

One more PEX (safety) question!

I've been reading over information regarding the safety of PEX for the last few days. It's safe to say, there is a lot of uncertainty and varied opinions on which type of PEX to use.

I have read over some of the posts here on GBA but am still not sure which to go with.

Several users have mentioned a weird taste in their water when using PEX A and that PEX B is the safest in regards to chemical leaching. One reviewer stated: "A-type PEX leaches 50-200% more chemicals into the water".

Asked By Tommy87 | Jul 22 17

My double stud wall assembly

We are in Minnesota (Zone 6a). 2200 sq/ft single level, slab on grade.

Finalizing my 10" double stud wall assembly details and want to get your suggestions and recommendations for improving the assembly without increasing significantly increasing costs.

-Sheetrock
-Certainteed Membrane 1-10 perm
-Dense pack cellulose
-1/2" plywood
-Tyvek 58 perm
-furring strips on the (north and east sides of the house)
-LP smartside lap, b&b, & shakes (north and east sides of the house)
-No furring strips, just vinyl siding (south and west sides of the house)

Asked By Scott K | Jul 22 17

Want to install mini-split need advice

Hi everyone!

Our master suite has only 1 small ac vent, none in the closet or bathroom, this makes it very uncomfortable in the summer in Florida. We have a large slider window and a really small double hung window in the bathroom. This makes windows units not a good choice as I've tried to install many without success.

We have a flat roof over this part of the house so we can't run more ac to the other rooms.

3 walls are outside walls, one wall is concrete the others are basic construction, minimal insulation and no insulation on the roof. Both windows are double pane.

Asked By jgraeff | Jul 22 17

What is minisplit short cycling? Turndown?

I understand that a "somewhat" oversized mini split will generally run at a more efficient rate, as opposed to an undersized mini split, which will run full-out, and therefore be less efficient. It sounds as if the problems with oversized mini splits would be 1) wasted money on oversize equipment, and 2) decreased dehumidification, due to the equipment not running enough. Am I about right, so far?

Asked By Ben Rush | Jun 25 17