Whole House Ventilation

I have a 3 bedroom, 2 story cape cod style house (1st floor 1500 sq ft, 2nd floor 500 sq ft; open floor plan) with a full basement (1500 sq ft). It is insulated with icynene except the 3 sides of the basement below grade, which are concrete-filled block lined with styrofoam wallboard (R 7.5) and 1/2" drywall. The house is in a semi-rural location in East TN (Mixed-Humid Zone) at 1000' elevation. Two adults and 4 dogs live in the house. Central heat and air is provided with an electric heat pump.

Asked By David Edwards | Feb 21 17

New home build in Iowa (Climate Zone 5)

Is it possible for a new home build in Iowa, climate zone 5, to not have under slab insulation? What's the min code requirement for a poured concrete basement with walkout basement?

Is it normal to also have external foundation just sprayed with waterproof membrane and tiles?

Thanks

Asked By user-6759891 | Feb 20 17

Crawlspace insulation

Hi everyone - Looking for some clarification around how to best re-insulate a crawlspace that has falling fiberglass batts.

The crawlspace is under an enclosed 3 season porch (no heat or AC), the crawlspace has insulated steam pipe and h/c water pipes running through it. The vents were previously covered with plywood (but not air sealed). The house also had termites, so I need to be able to continue annual termite inspections.

Asked By oldhouse7 | Feb 1 17

Vented or Unvented Cathedral Roof for Tiny House?

Hi GBA,

I am designing a tiny house and am wondering whether to go 'Vented' or 'Unvented' with the cathedral roof? I'd like get the best performance possible so a second opinion about my proposed assembly would be great. I've attached my current details. I live in climate zone 4, West Kootenays, BC.

Asked By Steven Meldrum | Feb 20 17

How to prevent or control humidity, mold, etc. in an indoor Retail, Dining, & Entertainment structure with a large body of water

I am a student at the Savannah College of Art and Design and I need some information on proper indoor air quality and I have no idea where to start looking. My project will be based in Cappadocia, Turkey where the air is usually dry and the summer months are in the 70s while winter months are low 20s.

Asked By sarahcehm | Feb 21 17

Question on insulating barn

Hi everyone,

Heard about this awesome website by listening to Martin talk the FHB podcast, what a great depth of knowledge that man has!. Now I have a question that I hope to get an intelligent non biased answer for! I currently am in the middle of a project of retrofitting a portion of my barn in order to create a roughly 6' x8' bathroom/shower in a room that's about 16' x 24. That all is well and good but like I said it's....a barn, which means there's is absolutely zero insulation or finished wall surface and the outside wall is also the ship lap exterior siding.

Asked By betterman0908 | Feb 20 17

Under tile electrical heating - Schluter Ditra Heat system 2017

Clients have asked me to install under tile electric heating. I've hear good things about the Schluter Ditra Heat system, however I've also read two things that worried me when this system was new to the US.

1. The thermostat only allows the heat to warm up to 84 degrees. You might feel this on your feet but it seems unlike to warm or dry the air above, even as a secondary heat source. Other systems allow 104 degrees. Is this still correct?

2. The Ditra heat thermostats produce a very loud clicking sound that is annoying and wake some people up.

Asked By Ryan Kennedy | Feb 20 17

Do pellet stoves generate much creosote?

Having lived in a house with wood heat for over 40 years, I've fairly familiar with the ways in which wood stoves can contribute to creosote formation in chimneys and stovepipes. However, I'm not very familiar with pellet stoves.

A friend recently wondered about creosote formation in a chimney connected to a pellet stove. So I'd like to hear from owners of pellet stoves: Does your stove lead to more or less creosote formation than a typical wood stove?

-- Martin Holladay

Asked By Martin Holladay | Feb 17 17

Cracking slab

I had a basement slab poured in May, and it recently cracked in several locations. I am upset that the cracking did not follow control joints. The slab is about 5" thick, and I was aggravated to find that the control joints are only 1/2" deep. From everything I can find, 25% of slab depth is standard. Do I have a leg to stand on in asking the contractor to recut joints to appropriate depth and repair cracks? Slab is 4k psi with rebar on 2' centers poured over poly, 2" XPS, and ~9" crushed stone, in case it is relevant. Thanks for any input.

Asked By Jim Tyler | Feb 20 17

Garage Door Perimeter Seals

I am finishing up a garage build in New Hampshire. The garage space will be heated and the garage doors are the biggest issue as far as air infiltration goes. I have gone with a two inch thick polyurethane door. Each door section has a sealing strip inbetween to seal air infiltration. The issue that I am having is finding a good high quality perimeter seal. Garaga brand double seal was recommended for its good sealing qualitys and the vinyl rubber seal is supposed to be very flexible down to low temps.

Asked By Jonathan Sinclair | Feb 20 17