GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Can anyone comment on the performance of the Rehau 4700 Geneo insulated uPVC window and door extrusions?

user-1099636 | Posted in PassivHaus on

Can anyone comment on the performance of the Rehau 4700 Geneo insulated uPVC window and door extrusions that are manufactured by Wasco Windows in Wisconsin? They are apparently PassivHaus Certified. Are also triple glazed.

I am planning on building a Certified PassivHaus as well as Net Zero. Also want to use Quadblock ICF for the construction of the envelope.
Part of the design will have a full basement and two doors connecting to the garage. House is located in Ontario , Canada.
Any comments?
Thanks, Andy

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Andy,
    You may be interested in reading my review of windows using the Genoa profiles. My review can be found on this page: New Green Building Products — February 2012. (Scroll down to the paragraphs that follow the heading, "Wasco Windows.")

In my review, I wrote:

"Some Wasco Windows are made from European vinyl profiles that include glass-fiber reinforcement. Made by a German company, Rehau, the profiles (Geneo profiles using Rau-Fipro material) are made from a composite material consisting of PVC with glass fiber reinforcement, with a capstock layer of ordinary vinyl. These Geneo profiles are stronger than ordinary vinyl profiles, and therefore don't require any steel inserts. Moreover, Geneo profiles have a lower U-factor (between 0.19 and 0.20) than typical vinyl profiles used by most U.S. window manufacturers. Wasco offers the high-performance Geneo profiles on its triple-glazed tilt/turn windows.

"Unlike most window manufacturers, Wasco Windows understands glazing options. Wasco Windows promotes a 1.38-inch-thick high-solar-gain triple glazing (Wasco calls it the “Sustainability Glass Package”) that is particularly appropriate for northern climates. The center-of-glass specifications for this type of glazing: U-0.133 and a SHGC of 0.566. Because Wasco is familiar with triple glazing (and sells more of it than most vinyl window manufacturers), upgrading from double glazing to triple glazing only costs between $70 and $90 per window.

"Wasco had shipped windows to customers as far west as Wyoming and as far east as Vermont."

-- Martin Holladay

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |