Pink Sill Foam vs Green Treated Lumber

On interior walls sitting on a concrete slab. Which would be better? Green treated lumber or standard lumber sitting on top of the pink foam sill sealer membrane?

The treated lumber has borate/chemicals in it while the foam sill sealer doesn't put off VOCs.

Which works better, is longer lasting and healthier?

Asked By Peter L | Feb 22 17

Min. continuous insulation thickness vs fastening requirements

Climate Zone 3, central Oklahoma. I'm struggling with my wall assembly detail given the fastening requirements of the engineered wood siding I'm considering. Assembly: 2x6 stud, osb, housewrap, 1.0 inch rigid foam, 0.25 inch rainscreen wrap like houseslicker, 0.375 inch LP smartside panel siding, 0.625 inch smartside trim battens

Asked By Inger Peters | Feb 22 17

Roof insulation for a West Baltimore row house

I've read some earlier GBA discussions about insulating brick buildings and those with flat roofs, and I'm planning to follow the guidelines I've gathered from those. My question is about the full insulation process for the roof when you use spray foam on the interior side of a flat roof. I recognize that the best advice is to put the insulation on the exterior side on top of the sheathing, but for a variety of reasons, that wasn't possible when I had my roof replaced in the fall.

Asked By Timothy Werner | Feb 20 17

HTP Phoenix Light Duty paired with Lifebreath Clean Air Furnace (downdraft)

I want to replace the atmospheric water heater (interior to my house) with sealed combustion. I also wanted to replace the 80% furnace that sits right beside the WH interior to the house. I learned early from GBA that inside combustion is to be avoided.

Fast forward...I am looking at the HTP Phoenix Light Duty + Lifebreath CAF (downdraft). I am in the Seattle, WA area in a 1950's rambler.

Asked By S K | Jan 11 17

Under tile electrical heating - Schluter Ditra Heat system 2017

Clients have asked me to install under tile electric heating. I've hear good things about the Schluter Ditra Heat system, however I've also read two things that worried me when this system was new to the US.

1. The thermostat only allows the heat to warm up to 84 degrees. You might feel this on your feet but it seems unlike to warm or dry the air above, even as a secondary heat source. Other systems allow 104 degrees. Is this still correct?

2. The Ditra heat thermostats produce a very loud clicking sound that is annoying and wake some people up.

Asked By Ryan Kennedy | Feb 20 17

Modified Perfect Wall, What happens?

When looking at Joseph Lstiburek's Perfect wall system; What happens when we change the order of some of the layers. I am looking at the Zip-R Sheathing produce which would place the Water and Air control layers outside the Thermal Control Layer. Are there any concerns with this. The only downside I can see is that we no longer get the opportunity to use multiple layers of Insulated Sheathing with staggered seams.
Would this change depending on the climate region?

Asked By Jeff Classen | Feb 22 17

Paint OSB subfloor to protect from rain during slow construction?

The house I'm building in central Arizona has a subfloor of 23/32" Norbord Truflor OSB on i-joists over a ventilated crawlspace. I'm building by myself and very slowly, so it might take me three months before I have walls and a roof. In the meantime, I've considered protecting the OSB from weather by painting it with Rust-Oleum Porch and Floor, which is designed to withstand sun and occasional puddles of water. On average, my location will get 6 days/1.2 inches of rain in March, 3 days/0.7 inches in April, and 2.1 days/0.3 inches in May.

Asked By Jeff Cooper | Feb 21 17

Insulating attic rafters

I'm looking for some advice on the proper method to insulate attic rafters. We moved to the mid Atlantic a year and a half ago. Our home is a two story colonial with a vented walk up attic. After experiencing the seasons in our new home. We've come to the determination that we need to somehow condition our attic space. Due to the ceiling only being 6'3" the entire length of the house, we realize that the space cannot be livable (lesson learned). It currently has a ridge vent and screened vents on each end of the house. There are no soffit vents. I've priced spray foam -$6000.

Asked By lifeguide | Feb 22 17

Vented or Unvented Cathedral Roof for Tiny House?

Hi GBA,

I am designing a tiny house and am wondering whether to go 'Vented' or 'Unvented' with the cathedral roof? I'd like get the best performance possible so a second opinion about my proposed assembly would be great. I've attached my current details. I live in climate zone 4, West Kootenays, BC.

Asked By Steven Meldrum | Feb 20 17

National Fiber in Belchertown, Mass.

Does anyone know how to reach National fiber in belchertown mass?
Emails to them bounce and their 1 800 number goes to some vacation service...
I don't know if they are hacked, or what.
I can't imagine they went out of business...
??????
Anyone have a cell phone for one of the reps?

Asked By Scott Mangold | Feb 21 17