Can pex pipe be reused after a fitting is removed?

I've had 3 plastic on brass pex swivel connections fail. Each time I noticed water, reached up to check the connections only to have the nuts shatter in my hand. The first two times I used push connect fittings to replace the swivel fittings, connecting to the supply after the fitting was attached to the sink. After another failure yesterday on Thanksgiving I've decided to replace all the plastic on brass with all brass swivel fittings. I hack-sawed the pillow-top of the crimp connection then used a hair dryer to heat the pex, pulled out the brass shank and slid off the clamp.

Asked By K C | Nov 27 15

Split system location

If I am going to install a mini-split in a very small, well sealed, well-insulated new home that will need airconditioning rarely (maybe never) but heat more often, does it make sense to install the interior unit at floor level instead of ceiling level? Is there generally an option offered by mfgr of low or high mounted units?

Asked By A Lange | Nov 24 15

Previous code for unvented cathederal ceiling insulation

Hey All,

Just curious if anyone knows the previous insulation codes for a low pitched, unvented cathederal ceiling.

My home was built in the 60s and I am finally getting around to insulating and finishing the garage with the above described roof. I know current code is r49 with at least r20 of spray foam for dew point and that's my only option. I just don't see how the rest of my house is all still ok since it was built/insulated way before spray foam existing. Now if I want to just fill the garage bags with roxul or cellulose I hear my roof will mold and collapse.

Asked By Steve Gabrielidi | Nov 25 15

Solar array positioning in Charleston, SC

Our home builder positioned our solar arrays facing east and southeast, but the angle is pitched east on both. One bank of panels are partially blocked by a large oak tree to the east, the roof of the building to the south, and a 2 level garage which partially obstructs the array (12 in each bank) eastward. The other array is pitched east and catches a glimmer of southern exposure sun, but is partially blocked by other large live oak trees to the south,

Asked By F White | Nov 24 15

How to create and air seal

We recently purchased a house that has a room with cathedral ceiling covered on the inside with cedar siding. This room, which was an addition has its own electric forced air furnace. Unfortunately, the builder of this room did not install a air barrier or even drywall under the siding, but did insulate the cavity above. This allows the thin cedar to leak at all of the joints. Blower door test and smoke confirmed the leakage.

I see two alternatives:

1. Remove the roof deck and apply spray foam from above, install a new deck and roof.

Asked By Dan Csomos | Nov 27 15

Two backdrafting appliances and dust — Do I need an HRV?

Hello, I have a problem with my house.

1) My house is probably air-tight

2) My water heater backdrafts whenever the bathroom fan is on. It's probably backdrafted every single morning (windows fog up & I feel the warm air at the flue when it kicks on....it only stops once turning off the bathroom fan).

3) Opening specific windows in the basement relieve the backdrafting of the water heater.

4) There was a lot of dust on a return-air duct that was right above the water heater. Another supply duct near the water heater had rust.

Asked By J Pritzen | Nov 26 15

I am a paid member that can't access product guides

Now I have been blocked?

Asked By Greg | Nov 26 15

How to separate house from garage

Our house will have 5" nail base on the roof with a 3" of oc foam on the underside and the walls will be ZipR over 2 x 6 wall. The garage will attached to the house. My question is do you build a wall in the attic between the garage and living area, then insulate it just like an outside wall? Also I don't want any pull down stairs in the house so what should I do for access to the attic from the garage? I thought about have an exterior door installed in the the previous mentioned wall.

Asked By Eric Chandler | Nov 26 15

Atypical cathedral insulation

I'm in climate zone 5A and trying to determine how to best insulate cathedral ceiling in farm/shop pole-type building with unusual design (picture attached). Building is multi-purpose with large portion un-insulated, but I would like to split loft section in half and use half for insulated workshop. Periodically heating around 60-65 deg at the most (but above freeze level all winter). Code does not apply for this building, but I don't want long term moisture issues.

Asked By Matt | Nov 25 15

Can anyone recommend a high quality direct vent natural gas heater?

We are currently using a vent free heater and find that it is causing health problems. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Asked By Grace | Nov 25 15