Insulation distribution with a low ceiling; efficiency vs. comfort

Context: a 14x7x6'8 tinyhouse built on a stepvan chassis. Heated by wood and propane. Designed for Zones 4-7. Primary occupant 5'10 or so. Insulation is reclaimed polyiso, mostly 4" with a few 2".

If I increase insulation at the roof and lower it a the floor (say, 2"-4"-6" floor-walls-roof), this would retain the most heat overall, and conform to standard building practice, but wouldn't it also exacerbate a temperature gradient between air at the roof and air at the floor? For comfort with such a low ceiling, I ideally want the upper air colder (on my face) and warmer (on my feet).

Asked By Geva edhrven | Jun 26 16

Options for replacing 2-cycle gas weedwhacker / string trimmer?

I recently replaced my gas-powered push lawnmower with a manual reel mower (Fiskars Staysharp Max Reel Mower, 18-Inch) for maintaining the grass on our small (7,500 sq ft) lot.

Asked By Robert Hallenbeck | Jun 26 16

Direct vent vs power vent gas water heaters

A recent blower door test/audit has alerted me to the fact that my natural draft hot water heater can backdraft in worse case scenarios (range hood/clothes dryer/bath fan on). It seems to reverse back to a correct draft after a few minutes. It's only about 6 yrs old, so I hate to replace it, but not as much as I hate the idea of the back draft.

Asked By Erik Addy | Mar 8 16

Insulation/ conductivity math help, please

I recently read one of Martin's posts about (so-called) radiant floor heating.
It was exactly what I needed. The dream of a toasty-warm floor under bare feet is only a dream- unless the boiler runs all the time- either to keep up with a poorly insulated and/or drafty house- or if a well-insulated, tight house is overheated.
Instead, I'll opt for mini-splits.

Asked By Ben Rush | Jun 25 16

Heat pump water heater + AC + refrigerator combo, someone?

Only wishful thinking ,

has any commercial products come up with a combo of any of the floowing items ??

- heat pump water heater ( tanked )
- heat pump AC
- heat pump heat
- refridgerator/freezer ??

I don't know why, but i think i recall looking at a product a few years ago that
comboed AC and water heater ??? can't find it anymore

what about water heater and refridgerator ?

I'd say, if use the heat generated by refridgerator/freezer pump,
would it make enough to hold up water temp in a tanked WH ??

Asked By Jin Kazama | Jan 7 13

Electric baseboard — mounting questions

I am converting to electric "baseboard" heaters in preparation for a solar install in a year. I live in a cold winter climate, Detroit. Conventional practice is to mount them low, preferably under a window.

However, mini-splits are mounted high. Here, ceiling fans are uncommon, especially with reverse cycle winter use. All of my rooms will have fans. I want to mount them high. This seems to make sense, given the fan and mini-split efficacy.

Asked By Marlena Crows | Jun 18 16

Unvented cathedral ceiling — insulating from above

I am re-doing my family room roof, which is a cathedral ceiling.

Since the roof is being re-shingled, I thought it a good time to remove the sheathing and lay down some closed cell foam. I have some unopened from a previous project

Everything I've read about unvented Cathedral ceilings talk about them drying from the inside. Obviously this can't happen if I'm spray in the closed cell foam onto the dry wall ceiling from above

The ceiling is 8" from drywall to plywood

Asked By Paul Buchkowski | Jun 25 16

Is there a way to install the vents for an attic fan, even though we have siding on the house?

Two years ago my parents had their house sided. The house had an attic fan with all the proper vents .they always use the the fa as you described it. It's great. However and this is a biggie, the siding company closed in the ventilation for the fan. They tried to contact the siding company, but the seemed to drop off the planet. Is there anything that can be done to use the fan again?????? Please help!!! Thank you.

Asked By Gretchen Obst | Jun 25 16

Room on second floor of house that cannot be cooled with AC.

We have a 40 year old house with a 7 year old central air unit. The duct work makes it difficult for the AC to keep the upstairs as cool as desired on extremely warm days (92+). We have dual zone thermostats so we just use the upstairs unit for AC, which helps. We recently replaced the windows and have insulated the attic, so overall the system is adequate. We do, however, have one room that consistently runs 8-10 degrees warmer than the rest of the second floor. Cool air is coming through the register.

Asked By Tim Duffy | Jun 25 16

I'm chemically sensitive and the neighbor uses lots of pesticides that make me ill

Hello. I own a small 2 story semi-detached home, 1024 sq ft in all. I'm chemically sensitive and the neighbor uses lots of pesticides that make me ill. I would like to keep these VOCs out. Air purifiers have not worked for me.

Asked By Brenda Koehlert | Jun 24 16