Why select 3D EPS Panels over conventional?

Hi…As I am thinking about getting my own house constructed over 1000 sqft of area, 2BHK. Therefor I was generally looking for options and came across 3D EPS Panel technology which claims that it saves on time, labor and cost. However the contractors that I have spoken to and GBA Advisor Martin Holladay were not in favor of this technology due to its high cost. Therefore I am a bit confused whether this technology is actually cost effective or costly.

Asked By sural kaul | May 6 15

Insulating a closet over a garage slab

I am currently building a home in Central Illinois, climate zone 4. Our home has a walkout basement that extends throughout the entire first floor, except for the master bedroom closet. The closet is roughly 14 feet long by 7 feet wide. The closet essentially takes up the back portion of a single car garage. The concrete contractor poured the garage floor underneath the closet. Floor joist then run over the concrete floor. There is what I guess is a crawl space underneath the closet that is roughly 18 inches tall. I am not sure how to insulate this area. Any tips would be great.

Asked By Jonathan Braden | May 6 15

Open cell spray foam on roof deck & vapor retarding primer

Hi,

Asked By David Amenhauser | May 4 15

Need condensation control — Want a bath vent without another 4" hole outside

Any brainstorming helps.
Have "sealed" window in bath anyway but do not want to open in winter north Iowa.
Radon vent (other side house) condensates.
So I don't want to make another 4" hole for bath vent.
When I turn on radon fan I hear water slosh down in pipe that's horizontal.
And dryer is another 3" hole. That condensates too. (I tried manual fix. See pics.)
And vent stack is another 4" hole.
And gas water heater is another 3" hole out chimney.
And water pipe is another.

Asked By Charlie Darwin | Apr 30 15

Why should we shift to EPS panels for building construction instead of conventional methods?

I write this email with great respect for you. I was going through your a particular website on EPS technology and came across your profile. As I am myself a young engineer and doing research work on 3D EPS Panel. During my research i came across a few unanswered queries. I am from India and this technology is currently being used in filler walls only and not as load bearing structure, therefore i was wondering if you could help me in understanding the adaptability of this technology in advanced countries like yours as compared to India which is still a developing nation.

Asked By Sural Kaul | May 5 15

Rhode Island remodel

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing an 1100 sq ft 1978 ranch in western RI (zone 5A). The existing house sits on an ~800 sq ft unfinished basement with the western (24') and northern (36') walls above grade/walk out.

Our plan is to finish the basement at the kitchen/living areas and re-model what will then be the 2nd floor as 3 beds, 2 baths, a laundry and a study.

Asked By Ben Balcombe | May 5 15

Relative humidity conundrum

I have an Aprilaire automatic humidifier installed in the return air duct of my HVAC.
The Aprilaire displays RH% and is presently set at maximum (5,000 s.f. home) because we have had a problem with our wood floors drying out too much during the winter. The conundrum is that, for example, when the Aprilaire displays 45% RH, my hand-held RH meter may display only 30% RH. The obvious check of using the same meter in the return duct air stream confirms that the Aprilkaire reading is correct. So how can the 2 readings be so different when the Aprilaire is reading the returning air stream?

Asked By Chris Simmons | May 5 15

Deciding between power vent and chimney water tank

My current water tank is rusting, rental company screwed up and it rusted prematurely, when i replaced my chimney vent furnace with high efficiency i was told the "orphan" water tank may have back drafting issues which did not happen, but the water tank anode was already gone and it was rusting internally. I figured when the water tank was getting old 5-10 years from now i would go with dual pipe power vent but it died prematurely.

Asked By Alan B | May 4 15

XPS foam on basement wall with no sill plate gasket

I am in the process of redoing my basement and would like to insulate the walls, but I don't really know what type will be the best. My basement walls are constructed with hollow concrete blocks and the the sill plate is non-pressure treated lumber resting directly on the concrete block with no capillary break (home built in the late 70s in climate zone 4A). The exterior of the house is brick veneer and the sill plate is about 6 inches above the level of the soil.

Asked By Tracy Burcin | May 5 15

Spray foam covers entire 2x4 on roof truss...bad?

I had my roof deck sprayed with spray foam (to the underside of the truss). My roof trusses were designed at 16" OC and constructed with 2x4's. They needed to spray 4" of foam to get the code requirement for insulated value, so they covered the 2x4's completely on the roof deck.

Now I'd never really looked at and or thought about it till after they were done...(should have had the trusses designed with 2x6's) but the 2x4's are fully encapsulated with foam. I'm worried they are going to rot because they can not breath. Is is not a big "no-no" to encapsulate wooden studs?

Asked By Mark Helmrich | May 4 15