How do I insulate an already framed concrete wall?

Thanks for the amazing posts. I've learned a lot from this site. Here's the scoop. I live in Wisconsin, Zone 6. New construction and a walkout basement with full, 3/4 and 1/2 concrete walls. Builder had fiberglass and poly over studded wood walls and fiberglass only over concrete walls. We had a wet fall and at the end of it, there was just a mess downstairs. I pulled it all out to dry, and there it sits.

Asked By Scott Thompson | Feb 10 17

How to get notifications from comments

Hello GBA.

I'm getting notifications of comments to questions that I ask, but I'd also like to get notifications when from _other_ threads, especially threads that I comment on.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Asked By Gerald Pehl | Feb 19 17

Sealing under-layers of built-up exterior foam panel insulation

Hello again GBA'ers.

Making progress on the details of my 6" graphite EPS over Zip panel exterior wall assembly, and coming down to the final few questions, I think.

At this point I want to use ThermalStar GX EPS, and the assembly will three layers of 2" to get to the final design depth, the outermost face of the outermost layer will be faced, but none of the others will be, which leaves two (I think) questions:

Asked By Gerald Pehl | Feb 19 17

SIP roof issues

Hi Everyone.

I was listening to Mr. Holladay on the FHB podcast and started getting nervous about my SIP roof built 3 years ago.. We live in central Washington and the climate is pretty cold in the winter (mid 20's) and hot in the summer (upper 90's). The humidity levels are low year round. We get about 2-3 of snow on the ground by February. The roof is 1/2:12 pitch and is 64'x32'. The bottom seams of the panels were taped, although the tape didn't seem to stick all that well. The humidity in the house is around 28-32% year round. The ceiling is painted drywall.

Asked By Matt Melton | Feb 17 17

Passive house exterior door for reasonable price?

Has anyone come across an exterior door that provides good insulation and beefy frame that's worthy of a super insulated home but comes at a reasonable price? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Asked By Matthew Michaud | Feb 4 13

Installing LP Smartside over foam and 24 inch centers

We’re building a new home (SW Virginia) with 2x6 studs on 24 inch centers. We had hoped to use 1.5 to 2 inches of EPS rigid foam to the exterior of the sheathing, then 3/4 inch x 4 inch plywood furring strips, then LP Smartside lap siding. We knew we had to use the 76 series Smartside product for the 24 inch centers. Then I discovered that LP’s installation instructions specify 1.5 inch x 3.5 inch furring strips for foam greater than 1 inch in thickness, so I guess that would basically mean a 2 x 4 stud for every 2x6 stud in the wall.

Asked By William Costello | Feb 17 17

Heat-pump water heater availability and reliability

I was set to buy a geospring until I found out that they discontinued them. Does anybody have an opinion on the other brands out there?

Asked By user-6765908 | Feb 15 17

Insulation

Would R 32 closed cell foam of 5 in. thick preform as good as R 40 in a fiberglass bat at 11in. thick.

Asked By paul fowler | Feb 14 17

Where to vent the dryer and range hood exhaust?

I am building a house with the dryer and the range located in places where it would be difficult to vent them anywhere other than through the roof or through the vented soffit at the eaves of the house. (It's about a 40 foot run to get to the gable end)

I understand that venting an appliance through vented soffit means that the humid air will likely get sucked up into the attic where you don't want it. However, reducing roof penetrations appeals to me and I am concerned about lint build-up being harder to deal with if the dryer is venting through the roof.

Asked By Timothy Godshall | Feb 17 17

Not enough XPS over roof - should I vent?

I am in the Washington DC area - Zone 4. I just had a 1.5/12 single slope roof framed with 2x8's for a 14x20 new block wall garage. On top of the rafters there is a layer of plywood followed by 2" XPS rigid foam followed by another layer of plywood and then an ice and water shield across the entire roof. This week there will be a standing seam metal roof installed on top.

Asked By Calvin Bouchard | Feb 12 17