GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Shop with radiant slab heat: Do I need slab insulation?

Adam Emter - Zone 7a | Posted in Plans Review on

Hi,

I’m planning to build a 40×96 shop with in-slab radiant heat. I will likely only heat to 55 degrees. I live in Central ND, zone 7a. Wondering if it’s necessary to use foam under my slab. Any thoughts?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2890856 | | #1

Any radiant installation whether it be floor , wall or ceiling requires insulation under , behind or above the tubing . This directs the heat energy toward the space to be heated and offers higher resistance than the material that energy must get through

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Adam,
    Q. "Shop with radiant slab heat: Do I need slab insulation?"

A. As Richard correctly pointed out, there is only one answer to this question: Yes. You need a continuous horizontal layer of rigid foam under the slab. In Zone 7, I would use at least 3 or 4 inches of rigid foam.

Don't forget: You also need vertical insulation around the entire perimeter of the slab.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |