GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

SIP “Larsen studs”

user-1137156 | Posted in Plans Review on

From my local SIP maker I can get 10′ lengths of 1 3/8″ wide 7″ deep SIP for about twice the price of a 2×6, I’ll complete the stud by Adding a strip of Thermoply 7″ wide on one side.using polyurethane glue and some staples. This makes a quasi “Larsen” truss that I’ll build my outer walls with. I can insulate between these “studs” with ordinary low cost mineral wool bats for r30 in the cavities. These SIP studs with he Thermoply “web” are about r23, pretty awsome, I think. I’ll cut pieces of the stud for window and door framing & shouldn’t need any plywood boxes, using the Thermoply instead. Since I changed to a “Larsen” truss system for my outer walls so that I can have ordinary brickwork “cover” my foundation this is the best I’ve come up with.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jerry,
    You didn't ask a question, so perhaps you aren't looking for any advice.

Personally, I would run your plan by an engineer before building it. I think it's fair to say that no one reading your comments has any idea how long the glue will last on a SIP offcut that is only 1 3/8 inch wide.

2. user-1137156 | | #2

Martin,
    The SIP alternative has the drawback of only 7/16 of OSB as the nailing member for the external claddng while It is an interesting possibility. I'll probably end up fabricating "Larsen" studs out of 1x2's and Thermoply with mineral wool insulation. My current thought is to use 2 pieces of Thermoply, each 47" tall (matches the length of a mineral wool bat) on the same side, one at the top ,the other at the bottom with 1x2 blocks at the ends (top and bottom) of each piece of Thermoply. Sure the blocks are a bit of thermal bridge & require some labor to install but well worth it for how rigid the'll make the assembly.

3. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3

Jerry,
    For the past five or six years you have been posting proposed building assemblies and mechanical plans on GBA. Each one fairly innovative, and vociferously defended, but then soon replaced by something quite different. It doesn't seem to be a process of refinement. From the outside you appear to be where you were at the beginning.

Maybe it's time to step back and say: if you want to get something built you need to make some decisions, stick with them and get started. You may not end up with the perfect house, but you will get one you can actually live in and enjoy.

I hope you take this in the spirit it was meant. I look forward to seeing a blog of your build here in near future.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |