GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

PERSIST Workshop Wall Construction in Upstate NY (Zone 5A/6A)

cbedgar | Posted in Plans Review on

I am going to break ground on a 24’x32′ detached workshop in a month or two. I liked Martin’s article on “Getting Insulation Out of Your Walls and Ceilings” enough that I am going to give the PERSIST technique a try with this workshop. Here is my wall detail.

It is slab on grade with radiant floor heat. The foundation is a block wall on a poured concrete footing. The foundation, walls, and roof are insulated with XPS foam. The walls are 2×4 stud walls with open stud bays. I can always add insulation in the stud bays later and drywall if I find I need it. It has a truss roof. The exterior finishes are vinyl siding and asphalt shingle. I am using “Ground Breaker” panels over the exterior foundation foam. I am planning a heat exchange ventilator to get fresh air in.

We were going to use 1×4 furring, but we are having trouble finding it in longer lengths at a reasonable cost. We will likely go to 2×4 instead of 1×4.

Please let me know your thoughts on the design. Also, please let me know if the drawing helps you.

THANKS MUCH,
— C.B. Edgar

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

C. B. Edgar,
    It looks like you have the right idea. My only comments concern insulation thickness.

If I'm guessing correctly, you are planning to install two layers of 2-inch XPS on your walls. That gives your R-20 walls, which barely meet minimum code requirements for your climate zone.

That will work, but more would be better.

It looks like you are planning an R-30 roof. That won't meet minimum code requirements. In zone 5, you need an R-38 roof, and in zone 6 you need an R-49 roof. So you'll need to beef up your roof foam.

2. Foamer | | #2

Clement,

Looks like a great project. Since this is a free standing workshop and not part of your house, it is quite possible that the code requirements Martin refers to don't apply. Check with your building department.

3. cbedgar | | #3

Thanks for the comments! How much insulation and where it should go? Yup, I have been thinking about it, and I guess I am going to think about it some more. The PGH has 10/20/40/60. Hmm.

In insulating, I was looking first to eliminate drafts and prevent moisture/condensation/mold problems. The foam seemed a good way to go. But how much foam?

I put a lot of foam in the foundation. After all, I am heating the foundation. Any heat that gets past the foam goes right into the ground and does me no good at all. Of course the ground is a lot warmer than the air, but I believe it is still important.

Based on Martin's recommendation for more insulation, I did some analysis and sure enough, I am losing most of my heat through the walls. I used Heating-Degree-Days times Surface-Area divided by R-value to get BTUs per year of heat loss.

With the current design, I am losing 410kBTU through the walls and 180kBTU through the roof. The foundation and slab account for 115kBTU, and the windows and doors account for 170kBTU. A total of 880kBTUs per year.

Baseline: R-20 walls and R-30 roof, the heat loss is 410 (47%) and 180 (21%). Total: 880kBTU.
    If I use R-40 walls and R-40 roof, the heat loss goes to 205 (33%) and 137 (22%). Total: 630kBTU.
    If I use R-40 walls and R-60 roof, the heat loss goes to 205 (35%) and 91 (16%). Total: 580kBTU.

So I can save a third in heating by doubling the insulation in my walls and ceiling. I need to think about that. Of course, as I add foam, the building gets bigger, and in New York where assessment is based on external building size, a bigger building means bigger taxes...

Of course, all this ignores energy code completely. As Torsten says, I may or may not have to worry about that. I will of course check with the inspectors.

Thank you so much for your input. I will let you know what my builder and I decide.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |